Thread: Silver horn tarnishing outside of case

Silver horn tarnishing outside of case

I have a Yamaha 642S (silver), and I have never really had a problem with it tarnishing. Due to the inability to take it anywhere lately to play, I have been leaving it outside its case for convenience sake. Now I've noticed a lot or tarnish on the horn. I have never had any of the anti-tarnish strips in my case, so that is not the difference.

Are the silver horns more susceptible to tarnishing when left out of the case?

Thanks.

Pretty sure the answer is "yes." An exception might be when the case contains something that induces tarnish, like certain types of leather. I suppose out of the case it is "inhaling" more pollution and such that might encourage tarnish.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    +1 what Dave said. It would most certainly tarnish more outside of a case. I had left my Wessex Eb tuba in its stand outside of the case pretty much forever. It is lacquered, so no real tarnish there, but the mouthpiece, a Wick model, has big time tarnish on it. I pulled it out of the horn, and you can see two totally different looks to the shank, inside the receiver vs. outside the receiver. I have since put the horn and mouthpiece in its case, not really because of that, just I was trying to cut down on stuff cluttering up my music room, and also that I rarely play the tuba.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Keep in mind the tarnish is silver sulfide, not oxide. Silver oxide is rare in nature, and is white.

Your horn's enemy is sulfur in the air, usually in the form of Sulfur Dioxide. That is a product of engine exhaust from the street or burning solid fuels indoors (or outside, close to a door) like a hibachi or barbeque.

Dennis
    Last edited by highpitch; 05-04-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks all! It's back in the case.

JP