Thread: Movie: Cold Turkey

Movie: Cold Turkey

We are watching the 1971 movie "Cold Turkey" tonight and I noticed a euphonium had a nice part in the soundtrack. That is part of the soundtrack's "color" music. Pretty sure there are some small sightings in the marching band scene coming up, too, but it was fun to hear a prominent solo.

It's a good movie, BTW. Dick Van Dyke, Bob Newhart, Bob & Ray, Tom Poston, Jean Stapleton, and several other faces you'd recognize are in it (well, if you're as old as I am). The plot is a PR stunt by a tobacco company that offers $25 million to any USA town that can stop smoking for 30 days. The catch is the entire town has to do this, and the PR man (Newhart) who thought of the stunt was confident no town could get every person to not smoke for that long, so it would not cost them anything. It is set in the fictional town of Eagle Rock, Iowa, and was filmed mostly in the real town of Greenfield, Iowa.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. I saw that film years ago. Didn't actually enjoy it much, but I will admit I missed the euphonioum soundtrack.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I saw it at a USAF theater, Misawa, Japan. At the time, my favorite character was the old lady
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    I saw it at a USAF theater, Misawa, Japan. At the time, my favorite character was the old lady
    Yes! That was Judith Lowry (1890–1976). She had a pretty good run for a while playing crabby old ladies. She was the Grandma on the show "Phyllis" (a spinoff from Mary Tyler Moore) as her last role.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium