Thread: FS: Hirsbrunner Crown 4-Valve Compensating Euphonium

Thumbs up FS: Hirsbrunner Crown 4-Valve Compensating Euphonium

I had not seen the Crown model name before, but this is clearly a Hirsbrunner and appears to be in the design of the other HB's I have played. The horn has quite a few dents and dings but seller says it is in excellent playing condition. Leadpipe has been replaced; no case is included. It has clearly had plenty of use, but the price is right! Buy-it-now is $2,999 and there IS a MAKE-OFFER button.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333589493379?ul_noapp=true

Interestingly, the seller has listed it for a bid auction, starting at $2499. Both are active now. Here is the new one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hirsbrunner...R/333593391954

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	7612 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	51 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	7613 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	46 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	7614
    Last edited by davewerden; 05-07-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I just won this on EBay. Is there a shop that you would recommend to do some dent pulling and possibly to change the lead pipe (silver)? Would you refurbish this all the way? What do you recommend based on the condition?

Congratulations on winning the horn!

The leadpipe probably just needs to be re-plated. A good repair shop could remove it; then it might need to be sent out for plating.

As far as dent work, you'd want a good shop because the horn is fairly heavy metal. They might advise you on how far to go. Dents in single-layer metal are probably not too hard to manage. But dents involving the extra protector layer are more work - you have to remove the protector first, take out dents, and re-assemble. That would be more likely to require plating afterward, I think. Maybe someone else has direct experience and can comment.

I would certainly play the horn a while before doing any work. You might uncover something else that needs fixing/tweaking.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

That's definitely seen some action, for sure. Not sure if it really needs a full restoration. Maybe just removing the leadpipe to plate, and also pulling off the bottom bow to get all those dents out. It looks like the keel is a bit dented in as well, so they'd have to pull the guard.

I wonder if the original leadpipe was destroyed, or if they just didn't like it? The path it takes seems to be quite different from the original leadpipe.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    That's definitely seen some action, for sure. Not sure if it really needs a full restoration. Maybe just removing the leadpipe to plate, and also pulling off the bottom bow to get all those dents out. It looks like the keel is a bit dented in as well, so they'd have to pull the guard.

I wonder if the original leadpipe was destroyed, or if they just didn't like it? The path it takes seems to be quite different from the original leadpipe.
    After playing the horn for a few weeks, I am really happy... I fell in love with Hirsbrunner 20+ years ago at TMEA when I played on a Stealth... Couldn't afford one back then. I also have a 2015 Sovereign and they sound so different... The Sovereign doesn't record well except in extremely large rooms. It is a wonderful instrument, but always lacks just a bit of weight in a smaller space. The Hirsbrunner is full rich and dark on recordings even in smaller locations. The valves and intonation are right on... I have replaced the springs with Mead springs, and am awaiting plastic valve guides (screw in) to quite down a little valve clack. Polishing and plating the lead pipe made a huge difference. Now on to dent repair... I may go for a pretty full refurb if possible and will probably send it out to Washington to Oberloh. He may be ready for it Mid Summer...

Thanks for keeping us up to date. It sounds like you and the horn are a good match!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I believe the instruments that carry the Crown label were originally intended for the brass band market in Europe 25-30 years ago. I have seen a couple of British tenor horns from Hirsbrunner with the Crown label, too. Nice score, imo. Dan would be a fine choice for a refurb as he knows Hirsbrunners well.
    Last edited by EuBa; 07-30-2020 at 03:43 PM.