Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve's Euph

Steve's Euph

Is Steve Mead now playing a gold plated euphonium? Or has he been and I'm just now catching on? The seems too deep a color and not quite right for lacquer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU9mX3MnAlc&t=989s
    Last edited by JTJ; 05-01-2020 at 09:44 PM.

2. I think it is gold lacquer,. not gold plate.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Ah, thanks.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Indeed it is gold lacquer. I had the privilege of meeting up with him in the Besson room at ITEC 2019, and much to my amazement, he handed me his horn and let me blow on it for quite a while. He has been playing this horn since the summer of 2018, so about a couple years. He said he really liked it. It played very nice for me, there wasn't anyone else in the room blowing, so I could hear it pretty good. Now then, what do you play when Steven Mead is standing right next to you with a little smile on his face??? Do you show him your very best licks and tricks, I think not. He has seen them all and knows them all and more. I just played a few tunes with nice melodies so that I could really hear the horn. I had written to him around 2001 and asked where I could get a copy of his "When You Wish Upon a Star" with a very nice piano accompaniment. Rather than tell me where to get it, he sent the whole thing to me with a nice letter. What a sweetheart of a guy!! I reminded him of that, and he remembered. I played a little bit of that piece. And another I like by the Childs brothers, "Softly, As I Leave You". And a couple more. A few scales, a couple fast to check the valves, a few slurs, a few high notes and a few low notes. That was it. What fun. That particular horn was very nice. I have owned several Besson euphoniums over the years, some really good, some pretty good, and one real clunker.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

it's a special model with gold-tinted lacquer and no stud brace holding the leadpipe midway, so more like a sovereign from that perspective.

"sweetheart of a guy"?? absolutely not.
    --
    Barry

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    it's a special model with gold-tinted lacquer and no stud brace holding the leadpipe midway, so more like a sovereign from that perspective.

"sweetheart of a guy"?? absolutely not.
    He was and has been to me. Sent me music of his for free with a very nice letter enclosed about the music and that he was glad to do this. I have met with him 2 or 3 other times over the years and he has always been very gracious. I and others chatted with him on the bus rides during ITEC a couple times, and he was always nice and friendly. I have been to a couple of his master classes and did not get any bad vibes. Nor have I heard anything to make me think differently of Steven.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I've had the pleasure to know Steve for 30 years. First met him when we was euphonium artist for the Falcone Festival in 1990. I last saw him in December of 2018 when he played with the Brass Band of Battle Creek and a few days later when he performed with the Oakland University Brass Band near Detroit. He had the new horn and commented on how much he likes the unbraced lead pipe. He has always been gracious and kind to me.

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    He was and has been to me. Sent me music of his for free with a very nice letter enclosed about the music and that he was glad to do this. I have met with him 2 or 3 other times over the years and he has always been very gracious. I and others chatted with him on the bus rides during ITEC a couple times, and he was always nice and friendly. I have been to a couple of his master classes and did not get any bad vibes. Nor have I heard anything to make me think differently of Steven.
    Steven Mead recently held a masterclass in the area where I live in which I attended and I can confirm that he is a friendly,Kind, very nice and helpful person.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

A few years ago (maybe longer) I emailed him about something (can't remember exactly what) and he responded very quickly with a nice response. I was impressed just with that.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Besson BE2052-8G-0 Prestige Euphonium

The Besson BE2052-8G-0 Prestige Euphonium features a 12″ bell and a free-floating leadpipe (no contact with the bell unlike conventional designs) for greater resonance.

About the Besson BE2052-8G-0 Prestige Euphonium:

“This new model of the popular Prestige 2052 euphonium is an instrument I have played since the summer of 2018, and it has met with huge and widespread acclaim wherever I have played it and when others have tested it. It’s rich sound, positive and powerful response makes it for me the best Euphonium that I have ever played.

I would invite you to try it!”

Professor Steven Mead
    JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast