Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oval Baritone

Oval Baritone

Nice video of German oval baritone in the beginning of this performance by the Berlin Phil brass ensemble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBeBXwAhwy8

John

Even more, even better, from the same site. Bydlo on the oval:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=271RuwbhtcI

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    Even more, even better, from the same site. Bydlo on the oval:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=271RuwbhtcI
    I really like that Bydlo!! Too many euphonium players try to make it pretty when it's supposed to be an oxcart lumbering through town, and too many tuba players try to play it and it sounds TOO labored. That oval baritone has a nice amount of rasp or edge to it and he used very little vibrato.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Nice!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Ugly with no vibrato is pretty easy for me...

GD

Looks like a B&S 3046, I like it! I have to say, though, I really enjoy when a really good tubist performs it. I understand this is blasphemous as a euphonium player, but it just gets a certain heft that a euphonium (or baryton) cannot.
    --
    Barry

Here is Joe Alessi making the argument for using a British baritone horn for the Mahler 7 solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McXn29jK7Ec

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    (snip) I really enjoy when a really good tubist performs it. I understand this is blasphemous as a euphonium player, but it just gets a certain heft that a euphonium (or baryton) cannot.
    I agree Barry. Alessandro Fossi is still my favorite for the Bydlo solo. Pretty sure it's a B&S F tuba.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx6Eo6liyCg
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

The lack of information about various instruments is something that I find extremely concerning. Somehow, the Bb Tenorhorn has become a completely forgotten instrument in the span of maybe 40 years even though you can still buy them brand new. Why is that? Scares me.

The part is marked "Tenor-horn in B (oder Tenortuba)". Mahler might have just wanted whatever 9'Bb thing that he could get, but he was obviously referring to an ovalform horn. The confusing part is that he didn't write "Baßflügelhorn (oder Baryton)" because that would have made a lot more sense and not contributed to the ongoing Mysterious Tale of the Tenor Tuba.

The British Baritone Horn is not related to the Tenorhorn and doesn't sound like it at all. It's actually, acoustically incompatible. If you play either with music that features the other, it sounds really horrible.

And yes, there is a smaller instrument called Tenorhorn (Althorn in B). I actually have one, though my example is designed to function as an actual Bb Alto Horn with the use of interchangeable receivers. (I'm still working on restoring that feature.) Still, fact is, even that instrument is only vaguely similar to the BBB Horn.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I like it on euphonium. I like the sound, and I also like it because when our symphony plays it, I get to play the solo (guess that is a selfish take on it). When I lived in Spokane, there was an opening for a euphonium player to sub in the Spokane Symphony. Part of the audition was Bydlo. They were for sure using a euphonium. Most of what I hear of this is played on euphonium. When I play it, I try for a somewhat darker sound, and I use little vibrato, but some.

Although the performance that Rick references above of Alessandro Fossi is pretty special. It almost does not sound like a tuba in that version and on my speakers.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast