Thread: Music Is Good for Your Immune System!

Music Is Good for Your Immune System!

Gotta say...I agree with this based on my own experience!

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/musi...s/202004150125
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-21-2020 at 09:38 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Dave - link does not seem to work. Your link got a bunch of extra stuff on the front end of it somehow.

This seems to work: https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/musi...s/202004150125
    Last edited by John Morgan; 04-21-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks, John! It should work now.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Music absolutely makes me feel better, and I suspect it is good internally as well. It is interesting how much interest is being generated in classical music during this pandemic. That is a very good thing (music interest that is). It always gripes me when they have the Grammy awards and classical music is just a blip on the radar, hardly even mentioned, and a lot of what they call music gets all the attention. Guess I am sounding my age...
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

However one feels about the benefits of playing or listening to music, there are some wonderful examples of pseudo-science in this particular "research paper". It's a great mishmash of references and "summaries" of unconnected "research" from a variety of sources which are stirred together indiscrimminately and then used to make some vague inferences about the effects of music on human organisms.

Some interesting disclaimers in the journal's web pages -- such as there being "no connection with any society or association, related to Biology and allied fields". It's "peer review" process is really sketchy, among other things allowing the author(s) to provide the names of the reviewers to be used. And its parent company (SCIENCEDOMAIN International) appears to be nothing more than a "publication mill" which advertises an easy way to have your papers published so that you can refer to them in your CV and grant applications (they're actually explicit about this!). For publishing your article there is an "Article Processing Charge" and a "Publication Charge". If you want reprints, there is an additional "Reprint Charge". Yep, it's "pay to play" publication for your "research".

But yes, playing music makes us feel better. Beyond that, I'd take care in making any further assumptions about our enhanced immunity. I remain still hunkered down in rural NC.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Regardless of the science in this article (and I'm not sure how one could do careful studies to prove/disprove such a thing), we all know that music can lift the soul. I believe it's also true that your attitude and mood can affect your health.

Remember that scene in "The Glenn Miller Story" where they punch up the march music for the Army-Air Corps marching units ("St. Louis Blues"), and suddenly the men look more energized? I have experienced that first hand in college and it made a big impression on my young brain. The Hawkeye Marching Band did the homecoming parade every year (I suppose they still do that). It was a fairly long parade if you are marching "college style" with high steps and swagger at a brisk tempo.* Toward the end of the parade we were all really dragging. But then the drums used a jazzier cadence for a couple minutes, and it really did lift our spirits and make us march better. We looked sharper, moved "snappier", etc. I have experienced that many times since then. So it would seem there is a pretty good connection between your spirits and your body.

* When I got into the Coast Guard Band, there was no training at the time. On my 5th day we went for an overnight to Martha's Vineyard, where we did a concert and parade. During the parade, I had two problems. First, I was used to high-stepping. While that is a lot of work, I didn't appreciate until that day how much smoother it was for marching while playing when you step down on the ball of your foot, vs. your heel. Doing a natural walk-style march made my mouthpiece pound my chops until I learned how to compensate. The second problem was that military bands don't swagger (swing their instruments from side to side). The trombone player next to me had to keep reaching over and grabbing my bell to remind me to stop swaggering!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

On a side note, I have lost virtually all faith in "peer-reviewed" literature, especially in the social sciences. Eight years on a tenure and promotion committee (among other things) took that faith away. More and more "peer-reviewed" journals are "pay to play," as Gary stated above, rather than scholarly.

OK--now I'm gonna go downstairs, fire up Band-in-a-Box, and play some Bill Evans tunes. It'll make me feel better. ;-)
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Music absolutely makes me feel better, and I suspect it is good internally as well. It is interesting how much interest is being generated in classical music during this pandemic. That is a very good thing (music interest that is). It always gripes me when they have the Grammy awards and classical music is just a blip on the radar, hardly even mentioned, and a lot of what they call music gets all the attention. Guess I am sounding my age...
    Same for Jazz...it's even a blippier blipolette...
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Same for Jazz...it's even a blippier blipolette...
    Agreed, Jim!! There really should be maybe a separate night for actual music like classical (instrumental and opera), jazz, wind ensemble, Sinatra/Streisand/Céline Dion type stuff, etc. That would be a switch.

Bieber and Beyoncé aren't exactly the cat's meow for me. Nor is 50 cent and 25 cent and 5 cent. I need aspirin.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only: