Thread: Tone

Tone

I am fully satisfied with my tone, but for some reason I feel as I keep playing my tone gets worse and less centered than when I started, why?

Do you mean with each practice session, or over time? Usually with me this happens because I'm fatigued.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I am assuming you mean in each session when you play, your tone starts out fine, then deteriorates the longer you play during that session, yes?

When I start out each day, I need to warm up as the first part of my playing, in fact, sometimes my first few notes are not that great. More so in the morning, than in the evening. Then after a short while, I am sounding like I want to. And I can play for quite some time at a level (good tone) that satisfies me. At some point, if I am playing for a long period of time, usually measured in hours, not minutes, my tone and other aspects of my playing may fall off a little. But my tone usually never gets really bad (in my humble opinion). I play a lot, so my chops are in pretty good shape and "last" for quite some time in each session.

So, my questions to you would be how long is it when you notice deterioration from when you first started playing that day? What are your first notes of the day like? Do you do a regular warmup at the start of your playing sessions, or just pick up the horn and "go"? How much do you play each day? If your chops are not in good shape, then I would expect some deterioration in sound and other aspects sooner in a session than if your chops were in good shape. Do you overdo your playing, i.e., play a bunch of high range stuff that might tire and wear out your chops? And sometimes almost ruin your chops for that whole day.

I would concentrate on good, repeatable warmup sessions to start each day. And consistent playing day to day. And varying what you play (fast vs. slow, low vs. high, melodic vs. technical). And part of every session, no matter how long or short, is to take breaks often. Doesn't have to be 30 minute breaks, but a little bit of time for your chops to relax and rest. Play low notes and pedal tones to relax. Play long tones of various scale pitches to work on a good centered tone. Play melodies and tunes you know to work on good tone.

Not seeing or knowing you and your circumstances, it sounds to me like you might not have your chops in really good shape and your playing may be infrequent or haphazard, but I'm only guessing. And of course if you work full time and have other responsibilities, sometimes there isn't much time for the horn.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks for posting that nice response, John!

An observation from the last several days' experience in my home. My tone has deteriorated and gotten fuzzy, worse as the practice session goes on, but also progressively worse each day. I had a theory that it was because I'm underplaying everything in my low-ceiling basement. Normally I get out at least once a week to play in a nice, large room.

So today I used my practice mute for the first 90% of the session, after a warmup without the mute. When I took out the mute for the last 10%, my tone was fine! The mute forces me to practice with more support, even though the acoustics don't require it. Seems like slightly under-playing everything caused my tone to lose its focus.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Thanks for posting that nice response, John!

An observation from the last several days' experience in my home. My tone has deteriorated and gotten fuzzy, worse as the practice session goes on, but also progressively worse each day. I had a theory that it was because I'm underplaying everything in my low-ceiling basement. Normally I get out at least once a week to play in a nice, large room.

So today I used my practice mute for the first 90% of the session, after a warmup without the mute. When I took out the mute for the last 10%, my tone was fine! The mute forces me to practice with more support, even though the acoustics don't require it. Seems like slightly under-playing everything caused my tone to lose its focus.
    I wonder how much of that is just perception vs moving more air. When you spend time playing with the practice mute, your tone is constrained by the mute. When you take it out, you sound better just because the mute is out. On a related issue, I find that if i just pick up my horn, I can fairly easily play up to a high F with reasonable tone. After playing for a brief period, i can't get anywhere near that note.

Mike