Thread: Experience with Wedge Mouthpieces

Experience with Wedge Mouthpieces

Doug,

Have you tried any Wedge mouthpieces or know of individuals who have and are still using them?

Art

2. Quote Originally Posted by AAM View Post
    Doug, Have you tried any Wedge mouthpieces or know of individuals who have and are still using them? Art
    Nope. And I am not aware. But I have moved this as a general request over on the Mouthpiece Forum.

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 04-16-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I have recently bought a wedge 102E Acrylic with brass tone modifier. I have only tried it 3 times in a somewhat acoustic setting before Corona shut down band practice. At home I can only play with Yamaha Silent Brass (small Appartment) so that does not give any real feedback on the mouthpiece. However, the times I did try it at band practice, I did notice a fuller low register and a little bit easier high register. I didn't have any problems to adapt to the wedge shape.

Keep in mind, I am by no means a professional player, mediocre amateur at best.

There are also a number of threads on this subforum discussing Wedge mouthpieces. A quick search will turn up threads with Wedge discussion like this one:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=wedge

I am primarily a tuba player. I play a yamaha 321 in a band or two when needed. I have a wick 4BS, 5BS and a wedge 5G. I play the wedge about 80% of the time. I seem to have better range and I don't get as tired after an hour concert. The sound seems comperable to the wick mouthpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by AAM View Post
    Doug,

Have you tried any Wedge mouthpieces or know of individuals who have and are still using them?

Art
    I have used a Wedge 103 Euph for about 8 months. It sounds similar to a Wick Ultra 4, which is not surprising, since it is based on that mouthpiece. The throat and backbore are very large, so it does take a lot of air. I didn't get much (if any) improvement in range or endurance.). The rim is quite sharp and is very touchy regarding position. The rim has alignment dots and you need to figure out where they work best. I would recommend trying a size that is the same as you current rim size. The rim feels small because it is smaller in the diameter parallel to you lip aperture. So a 10 3 rim is smaller than 103.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    I have used a Wedge 103 Euph for about 8 months. It sounds similar to a Wick Ultra 4, which is not surprising, since it is based on that mouthpiece. The throat and backbore are very large, so it does take a lot of air. I didn't get much (if any) improvement in range or endurance.). The rim is quite sharp and is very touchy regarding position. The rim has alignment dots and you need to figure out where they work best. I would recommend trying a size that is the same as you current rim size. The rim feels small because it is smaller in the diameter parallel to you lip aperture. So a 10 3 rim is smaller than 103.

Mike
    Mike,

I've ordered a Wedge 103 E and will receive in about a 12 days or so.
    Putting it on my Adams sterling bell large bore.
    With 90 days to try it, one should be able to tell whatever differences there are in one's embouchure.
    I'm currently playing a Wilkinson model G and W stainless tell that is too large for me.
    If at some point you'd like to compare notes, you can e-mail me at arthur.molitierno@wright.edu.

Regards to you and all who play oon the dark side...

Art

8. I’ve been using my Wedge 104E (SM3U equivalent) for little over a week now. My endurance is way better also flexibility is far easier.
    Took a day or so for my tone to get back to how I like it.

I recommend these mouthpieces to anyone. I’m really enjoying mine….

9. Now (5 weeks later then previous post) I like the mouthpiece even more… sound is like a SM3U with more core. My range is more stable then ever. Meaning consistant day by day.
    4 1/2 octaves with good sound and control. Low range suffered a bit in the beginning but is almost back to where is was.
    Endurance is amazing. Only thing is that when fatigue there is not much you can do. On a conventional mpc I could pull and push to get extra playtime. (Not good for the chops though)

If you have a chance to try one then do so. Wedge is getting beter for me every day!

Interested in others opinions!
    Last edited by DutchEupho; 01-01-2022 at 02:22 PM.

I've switched to Wedge mouthpieces for all my horns. I use a 4G on my Shires large bore tenor trombone, a 3G on my Wessex Sinfonico, and a LT 103 rim on a Doug Elliott cup and rim for my small bore trombone. I tried one of their newer models, a 104E I believe, but did not like the sharpness of the inner rim. The older models are much more comfortable for me.