Thread: Suggestions for euphonium solo?

1. Suggestions for euphonium solo?

So I am new to this website and am an 8th grade advanced band euphonium player. The high school I am currently going to requires up-and-coming band students to have a prepared piece to see where they will be placed. But, I do not know of any Euphonium solos other than the very hard ones for advanced high school. So if you could give me suggestions for pieces I should play, that would be great. I would say grade 3 and 4 music would be the best for me.

Welcome to the forum!

Are there time constraints on the solo you choose (I assume so), and can you do just portions of a solo?

Also, you might check with the band director to see where (online) you can find a list of graded solos for your state's contest. That could give you some ideas, too.

What is your range from bottom to top? By that I'm talking about the notes you're comfortable with during a solo piece, vs. just a high note you "can hit on a good day."
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Thank you for the warm welcome! I appreciate it!
    To answer some of your questions:
    There are no time restraints and no, I cannot just do only portions of a solo.
    My range, I believe, is 2 ledger lines below the staff C to three ledger lines above the staff G.

I will ask my band director for any graded solos.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Welcome to the forum Brendan!!

Here is a good solo based on your requirements/constraints. James Curnow's "Rhapsody for Euphonium and Concert Band". It does go up to a high A in 3 spots, so this is just above your range, but perhaps that would give you something to work on. At the end of the piece, there is an optional high B natural, but it is not necessary to play. This piece gives you a chance to display your melodic playing and phrasing. And it allows you to show your technical ability, but is not overly difficult. If you are fairly technically competent, then you can play the technical part faster, if not, then you can play it slower. This is just a great overall piece, and if you could play it well, it would be impressive.

You can get it at J.W. Pepper here: https://www.jwpepper.com/Rhapsody-fo...m#.Xph03UBFyM8

The solo with piano accompaniment is about $15.

Here is a nice recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjRqDfj-7eI
    Last edited by John Morgan; 04-16-2020 at 10:21 AM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)