Thread: New vs Used on Medium Budget

New vs Used on Medium Budget

Hello all, I'm new here, looking for some purchasing advice. I've been reading and shopping around on/off the last few weeks and finally convinced myself to buy a euphonium or baritone. I played euphonium and tuba in high school and college but haven't played in the 25 years since. A year or two ago I bought a PBone (one of those plastic trombones) on a whim and realized how much I missed playing even though I was never a trombone player so I can't do more than mess around. Which brings me to now, sitting around the house a lot and wanting a nicer horn to entertain myself.

Does it make more sense to purchase a used horn like the King 2280 David linked to today in for sale or a used YEP-321 (which is what I played years ago) vs. new from place like Mack Brass? I'm only familiar with playing a 321. I've seen the Wessex love here and also some, but not as much love for Mack. Wessex doesn't have anything in stock and reading here is where I stumbled onto Mack Brass. I'm not looking for a dirt cheap horn, but I don't want to spend more than $1200-1500 either. My budget can handle a new Wessex or Mack but not a new Yamaha. I've also looked at baritones and marching baritones on eBay, thought the marching style would be nice for pick up and play.

Any casual players here, I don't think I'll ever play with an ensemble, just entertaining myself. Where is the bang for the buck? Used horns from long-time established brands or new from one of the reputable brands tweaking stencil horns? Thanks in advance!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Welcome to the forum, bigjim!! Glad you are thinking about getting yourself a euphonium. I wouldn't pick a marching style horn, but that's just me, because, who knows, you may like playing so much that you want to get into a community band or some other playing avenue. There really is a lot of fun to be had in joining a group, really, so don't rule that out.

As for horns, I am a fan of the Wessex Dolce, and I own one as well as a couple of other horns, one a real high end horn. The Wessex has been wonderful for me, and I have had it over 3 years. I played it exclusively for 6 months, but now play it just very occasionally. But, seems you cannot get one right now with the pandemic. Mack would not be a bad choice for your circumstance if you want one right now. I don't know of their current availability. Or a good used King 2280 or Yamaha 321. I am pretty picky, so if I picked a used horn, it would have to be in really stellar condition. I got a Boosey & Hawkes Imperial for $1,000 3 years ago. It was in excellent condition, and I just had it restored (sort of). Only involved a couple dents to remove, new valve guides, and new felts, corks, etc. For $300 and it now is remarkably good. A 4-valve compensating model. But, I digress. If you could find a deal like that, that would be great, but I got lucky there.

So, check out Mack and look daily for good deals on clean, good condition used horns; that is about the best advice I can offer. That is, if you are in the $1200-$1500 neighborhood.

Go here to get the phone number to call Mack Brass: www.mackbrass.com/MACK-EU1150_Comp.php
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Welcome to the forum!

You have accidentally wandered into the realm of compensating or non-compensating. A part of the decision rests on how you plan to entertain yourself. If you were going to be in a band, which sound like you're not planning, then a 2280 or 321 would be just fine and probably a bit easier to play in some ways. Non-comps are less stuffy in general and easier to clean.

But some of the material you may want to try could go below the E just under the bass clef staff. There are a couple tricky notes there on a non-comp (that's why the compensating system was made in the first place). The old standards of our solos don't go there, because many folks got by with 3 valve horns and publishers like to sell to everyone! Newer material may very well go down through the tricky range and would benefit from a compensating horn. Same is true if you want to toy around with bassoon music, which can be a good source for baroque or classical pieces.

Mack and Wessex are both good horns. Wessex goes beyond just selling the horns as they are designed in China, though, and adds improvements unique to their line - that's why they cost a bit more. Your budget would allow a Wessex Dolce.

Used horns can give you a pro-level instrument, but at your price point it would be very tough to find a nice one that doesn't need work. I'd stick with a new Wessex.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

John speaks the truth.

Please don't fall to the hype from Indian horn sellers, they are ALL junk. They do make stylish urinals, tho.

DG

Welcome back to the Euphonium. I have owned/played a King 2280, Yamaha 321 (in high school), Besson New Standard compensating (I sold to play tuba), and currently own a John Packer 274 I bought in December from Joe at Mid South Music. It depends on if you want a compensating euphonium or not. Now the 321 and the 2280 have limited lower range. The 321 is a small bore euphonium. The 2280 is a large bore along with the John Packer and Besson I owned.

I like the to play in the lower register so I want to play all the way down chromatically. The horn Guys website has a good write up on the 2280 and 321 limits and how to play in the low register. Here it is: https://www.hornguys.com/collections...oist-euphonium.

I went with the John Packer 274 recently as I wanted a compensating horn and I really like it. I got it withing your budget, brand new, shipped to my door in December. Wessex has a good following here and I considered one. Check with Joe at Mid South Music for prices and stock on John Packer: http://https://www.facebook.com/midsouthmusic79/

Good luck and I hope I helped.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Thank you all, you've definitely given me food for thought, great read on the Horn Guys website on the 2280. I hadn't given much thought to compensating vs not, but see now where that comes into the equation for cost and complexity. And it's quickly become clear reading more into past posts that nobody here likes the bell front marching horns!

Bugle style horns are typically used when standing and marching. The only folks I have seen using them are marching bands or drum and bugle corps. No orchestras, wind bands, or other concert music organizations. Holding a 9 foot long (baritone/euphonium/trombone length) horn up in front of your face would be harder to manage strength-wise. At least with a traditional tuba like wrap, you can cradle it in your arms and somewhat set it on your lap. I think that strength issues are a big part of why the traditional build is popular with this crowd.

All that being said, make yourself happy. Buy the horn that speaks to you. Just know that you may get some funny looks when/if you go to play with a concert group and show up with a marching horn.

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

If you just want something that will keep you entertained and you have over $1000 to burn on it, go all in and go old school. DOUBLE BELL EUPHONIUM

Wessex still has the Duplex in stock. Lacquered option is $1196. You get (just about) the best of every world. Big bore, compensating system, two different sounds from the same instrument, and it doesn't cost you a kidney.