Thread: Euphonium music / methods for lower register

Euphonium music / methods for lower register

I am enjoying coming back to the euphonium from tuba but I still like playing in the lower register. At the moment there are some tuba and bass trombone methods that I am playing. Is there specific euphonium music for the lower register utilizing the compensating system? Thanks in advance.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

2. Those bass trombone and tuba methods you're using are perfectly fine for your purpose. But for specific euphonium repertoire, Harold Brasch wrote a great method book titled "The Euphonium and 4-Valve Brasses" currently published by Tuba-Euphonium Press that has a section on exercises, etudes and solos excerpts adapted for the compensating register. It's also just a great book in general to supplement the standard method books.

For solo repertoire, perhaps someone else can chime in with more information, but I'm not sure of any solo pieces that are predominantly in the lower register. (Although a lot of major/contemporary euphonium solos have an expansive range in both directions.)

It sounds like you might be looking for pieces that are mainly in the lower register (my apologies if I misinterpreted). In that case, a lot of solo works for bass trombone and tuba would work well. You could also take existing euphonium solos and play them down an octave. One beautiful example is Øystein Baadsvik's "Ordner Seg." There are versions for tuba and euphonium, but the tuba version still works quite well on euphonium.
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Thanks for the info and yes I like playing in the lower register. I have played tuba and bass trombone and due to older injuries have decided on euphonium. Since I have a compensating euphonium it just seems like it would be fun.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgeman View Post
    I am enjoying coming back to the euphonium from tuba but I still like playing in the lower register. At the moment there are some tuba and bass trombone methods that I am playing. Is there specific euphonium music for the lower register utilizing the compensating system? Thanks in advance.
    Take any of your other material and play it down 1 or 2 octaves. Trying to get things to sound musical 1 or 2 octaves down will help a lot.

mike

Several modern works use the lower range, but I can't think of any that actually "feature" the range. But I like the suggestion to take standard pieces down an octave. I do that with my Arban book all the time. If you are not good at transposing (something you should work to improve) then you can buy pieces like the Catelinet Andante and Rondo, which includes parts for euphonium and tuba.
    https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...5?aff_id=15680

What I like about that type of practice is that you can work up all your phrasing and musical ideas in the euphonium range, and then try to achieve the same thing while in the low octave.

Also, you could just tackle some tuba rep on the euphonium. Phillip Catelinet told me he had performed the entire Vaughan-Williams concerto on euphonium, for example. The 2nd edition of this music (fixes some errors) is available here:
    https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...2?aff_id=15680
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks for the info Mike and Dave!
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba