Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JP Sterling Euphoniums

Mark....our local Australia JP agent rang me yesterday and is willing to send me either horn to try, so I`ve opted for a 274 and see what happens, if I don`t like it just send it back with "no strings".

As it will be brand new what should I do with the valves, anything or just oil them and play ??

Frank

I’m not Mark, but in case he can’t respond, I would just oil the valves if you’re not sure on keeping the 274. I would oil several times during the play-testing. If you decide to keep it, then a good bath with warm soapy water to clean out any dirt or grime from assembly and soldering would be suggested. Good luck.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thanks Rick....will do.

Frank

yeah, just oil is fine. I think I put lighter springs on mine eventually

Well the new toy finally arrived yesterday, you have guessed it correctly a JP Sterling 274 complete with a quality hard case......had a
    phone call a couple of weeks ago from the Australian Agent offering a "no strings attached" track test of this product, needless to say it didn`t take long for me to yes, yes & yes.

Had a couple of blows yesterday afternoon and initial impressions are that it feels much like a Besson, solid and heavier that I would have imagined with a dark euphonium sound that most of us love.

The presentation of the instrument was flawless with the local agent having oiled the valves & slides prior to handing it over...…...the advice from him was as expected to wipe the valves down before each rehearsal and re-oil. The top 3 valves felt a tad heavy but worked without fault, whereas # 4 was definitely sluggish but will improve with use , no doubt.

Upper & bottom register were easy to use, however the next few day will be interesting...…….would be good to have a chance to operate it in an ensemble setting but like elsewhere in our world we are also in lockdown.

Cheers

Frank

Congrats Frank on your new horn! Sounds good.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

JP Sterling Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    it's good, but it's several people's opinion that it's NOT better than the JP274, which is half the cost. What do you get for twice the money? A horn that doesn't play quite as good, a trigger, and the name sterling on the bell
    Thanks to you Mark for the tip, the cost difference is about the same here in Australia and I`ve never used a trigger and really didn`t want or need the device at my stage of playing.

After a number of days in private practice I`m getting used to the horn and the top valves are acceptable & improving daily, so think this might be a keeper.

Spoke with my local agent yesterday and got a firm price which did put a smile on my face (very acceptable indeed) & was told to take my time as there was no pressure to decide.

Cheers

Frank

glad I could help, and I'm glad you like it. I A/B'ed my packer against an adams in February. The adams had faster lighter lighter valves and a little bit lighter tone (more soloistic) but Considering I would have to sell my horn and add another $6000 on top of it to get the Adams, I'm happy to keep the packer.

Noted and agreed, if only we had an unlimited bank balance but alas no such luck.

Congrats on the new horn. Glade you like it. I love mine. I got it in December.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12