Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JP Sterling Euphoniums

JP Sterling Euphoniums

Am looking for advice on this brand of instrument... specifically tunefulness, ease of playing and are there any valve issues eg slowness once instrument has warmed up.

I understand that they are amongst the cheaper variety available and you generally get what you pay for but cost is a significant factor......that said would I be better off to find a pre-loved "brand" name. ??

My location is Southern Hemisphere on the East Coast of Australia, so access to the US market is difficult, especially at present.

I'm going to move this question to the "Euph Brands" category. And I think you can find quite a few opinions on JP Sterling (most of them positive) if you browse that category.

Here is a link that might help you find them more easily:

JP Sterling search results
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

it's good, but it's several people's opinion that it's NOT better than the JP274, which is half the cost. What do you get for twice the money? A horn that doesn't play quite as good, a trigger, and the name sterling on the bell

I got a 274 about 6 weeks ago, largely based on the recommendation of Mark on the tubenet forum. I have been very happy with it so far, although I spend way more time playing bone than euphonium. I think it is a nice compromise between the $1,000 horns and the $8,000 horns, although I am not sure what improvement I would get with one of those, at least for my level of playing.

58mark....you make a very interesting point. At my stage of life the best days are well and truly behind me and I would like a new model instrument but am not prepared to mortgage the house, so to say, to buy a prestige brand.

I posted some of my problems with Wessex a while ago, so these is no need to go over old ground but because they play so well the cheaper Chinese brands have kept me interested.

For the best price on the 274 contact either Baltimore brass or joe Sellmansberger at mid south music

Not sure about the international market, you can find Rob Hanson on facebook and ask him directly. He's the JP guy
    Last edited by 58mark; 04-12-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    For the best price on the 274 contact either Baltimore brass or joe Sellmansberger at mid south music

Not sure about the international market, you can find Rob Hanson on facebook and ask him directly. He's the JP guy
    To add on to this, try checking out Reeves Brass. I am from South East Asia and got my 274 from him! You likely won't go wrong with this!
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Hi Mark....JP Sterling is very available here & a mate is a selling agent but a previous comment did get my attention about the 274 V 374 and a quick check of their online price difference will make me have a good look at the cheaper model.

For me, so long as the instrument is compensating, I think the trigger would be wasted on me & the slightly smaller bell size is no problem either...……...so we are all waiting for the "Corona" problems to disappear so we can resume making music in various ensembles.

Frank

here's the weird thing. the 274 is listed as having a 11 inch bell. Mine measures 11 3/4, which is really close to the 12" bell on the 374, if not identical.

Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    here's the weird thing. the 274 is listed as having a 11 inch bell. Mine measures 11 3/4, which is really close to the 12" bell on the 374, if not identical.
    I checked my 274 this morning and it is also 11 3/4" . It plays very well. I received mine in December from Joe Sellmansberger at Mid South Music. I was going to go with a Wessex Euphonium but they were not in stock. I am glad I went with the John Packer.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast