Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Also in need of pricing help (Boosey & Hawkes mid 70s)

Also in need of pricing help (Boosey & Hawkes mid 70s)

I currently am trying to sell my Boosey & Hawkes imperial.

It's four valves compensating, large shank, silver plated, and although not exact but judging by the serial number mid seventies era.

I do know it was made in England before they switched to a German factory though. The valves are pretty good, no leaks either.

A few dents here and there but it doesn't affect the sound. Another thing would be that some silver plating is missing on the tuning slides. I'm now hoping that I could maybe sell it around the $2.5-3k range but honestly I have no idea when it comes to pricing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200331_153232.jpg   20200331_153356.jpg   20200331_153406.jpg   20200331_153527.jpg  
    Last edited by Beef; 04-02-2020 at 12:05 AM. Reason: To make thread title more specific

2. Hello Beef,

Welcome to Dave Werden's Euphonium forum.

This is starting to feel a bit like Antiques Roadshow;-) I have a question, what is the serial number? I will get you a more exact date. It is it medium shank or large shank receiver? How long have you owned it and what, if any, repairs have you had done (and where)?

Also, it is a bit hard to tell, but it seems the leadpipe is particularly dented and the brace supporting the tuning slide to the outer branch has been resoldered (somewhat poorly). These affect value.

Overall, at this point, I would put this horn at the low end of your range. While it "may" play well, it almost certainly would need work (felts, pads, corks, cleaning, polishing, leadpipe cleanup?, solder work?) that would affect value. If it were a top condition Imperial or New Standard, in top nick, the going prices are above $3K. Horns like the one that "highpitch" has that have been fully restored by top restorers (ex: McQueens in UK) go for even more. And folks who are fans of the mid-60s to mid-70s versions of these horns, often prefer the medium(euro) shank horns.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Hello Beef,

Welcome to Dave Werden's Euphonium forum.

This is starting to feel a bit like Antiques Roadshow;-) I have a question, what is the serial number? I will get you a more exact date. It is it medium shank or large shank receiver? How long have you owned it and what, if any, repairs have you had done (and where)?

Also, it is a bit hard to tell, but it seems the leadpipe is particularly dented and the brace supporting the tuning slide to the outer branch has been resoldered (somewhat poorly). These affect value.

Overall, at this point, I would put this horn at the low end of your range. While it "may" play well, it almost certainly would need work (felts, pads, corks, cleaning, polishing, leadpipe cleanup?, solder work?) that would affect value. If it were a top condition Imperial or New Standard, in top nick, the going prices are above $3K. Horns like the one that "highpitch" has that have been fully restored by top restorers (ex: McQueens in UK) go for even more. And folks who are fans of the mid-60s to mid-70s versions of these horns, often prefer the medium(euro) shank horns.

Doug
    Thanks daruby! As for the serial I'm not home at the moment so I can't really tell but once I do I'll let you know, this one has a large shank receiver and the solder work wasn't done by me, but you're right, it does need to be polished. The leadpipe used to be worse but I've been working on it little by little every week. The felts have been replaced and so have the springs. I've owned it for about half a year and any repairs done to it by me were on the leadpipe.

As for the price would I be able to at least make a little over 2k on this horn? I used to be crazy about besson but I've been getting more into an American sound such as Bowman or Adam Frey.

Not sure about a little over 2k - maybe.

What mouthpiece do you use? A 51D might get your Besson to sound a little more like Adam/Brian.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Not sure about a little over 2k - maybe.

What mouthpiece do you use? A 51D might get your Besson to sound a little more like Adam/Brian.
    I currently use the BB1

Well, so much for that idea!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Okay, so then if not over 2k, I'm probably going to list it around the 1.8k range, I'm hoping that's a bit more fair

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef View Post
    As for the price would I be able to at least make a little over 2k on this horn? I used to be crazy about besson but I've been getting more into an American sound such as Bowman or Adam Frey.
    Well, Brian Bowman gets his "American" sound with a Swiss Willson, and Adam Frey gets his "American" sound with a Japanese Yamaha.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Well, Brian Bowman gets his "American" sound with a Swiss Willson, and Adam Frey gets his "American" sound with a Japanese Yamaha.
    I see what you are saying but in terms of American sound I'm talking about that warm, dark, and velvety sound they produce. Of course I know that the instrument does not make the player, but it will always still affect it. I'm not going for a British sound, hence why I wish to switch off of my B&H. No reason to come off snooty. Unless I am misunderstanding.
    Last edited by Beef; 04-02-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast