Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Also in need of pricing help (Boosey & Hawkes mid 70s)

Please don't get upset, what we are saying is your 'sound' is around 80% you, and some 20% your axe.

We all need that 20% advantage, even after years of lessons, practice, and performance.

If blowing another horn makes your music better, go for it.

At best, try a number of horns and be objective: I've found the ears of others are much more important, for after all you are playing to them.

Dennis G.

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    Please don't get upset, what we are saying is your 'sound' is around 80% you, and some 20% your axe.

We all need that 20% advantage, even after years of lessons, practice, and performance.

If blowing another horn makes your music better, go for it.

At best, try a number of horns and be objective: I've found the ears of others are much more important, for after all you are playing to them.

Dennis G.
    I've played on my friend's Yamaha Neo and I've tried numerous others, I've gravitated more towards the Yamaha. I just don't like it when others assume that I haven't put in the effort to research and come to this decision, much less have to explain myself for why I'm switching horns. But thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beef View Post
    I've played on my friend's Yamaha Neo and I've tried numerous others, I've gravitated more towards the Yamaha. I just don't like it when others assume that I haven't put in the effort to research and come to this decision, much less have to explain myself for why I'm switching horns. But thank you.
    Many of us are busy, and I know in my own case I don't always have time to type a long, carefully-worded response. I don't see anything offensive in the comments, or in my suggestion. Just following this thread we couldn't tell how much research you have done in the past or how many horns you have tried. I've been running this forum for about 20 years, and I have learned it is not safe to assume someone has tried what I might consider an obvious step (like changing mouthpieces). So please just take the comments as our attempts to be helpful.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Many of us are busy, and I know in my own case I don't always have time to type a long, carefully-worded response. I don't see anything offensive in the comments, or in my suggestion. Just following this thread we couldn't tell how much research you have done in the past or how many horns you have tried. I've been running this forum for about 20 years, and I have learned it is not safe to assume someone has tried what I might consider an obvious step (like changing mouthpieces). So please just take the comments as our attempts to be helpful.
    Will do, although it wasn't yours or anyone else who came off that way, just John Morgan. Although I more than likely misunderstood him as you cannot 'see'
    or hear tone of voice through text. What he said just came off as condescending and rude so I had to cover all of my basses. Again, thank you and everyone else for their suggestions. But I wanted this thread to be about pricing this horn a price that can not only make me a profit for my savings to buy a new euphonium but that is also fair to people who may wish to buy it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12