Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Also in need of pricing help (Boosey & Hawkes mid 70s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef
    • Mar 2019

Also in need of pricing help (Boosey & Hawkes mid 70s)

I currently am trying to sell my Boosey & Hawkes imperial.

It's four valves compensating, large shank, silver plated, and although not exact but judging by the serial number mid seventies era.

I do know it was made in England before they switched to a German factory though. The valves are pretty good, no leaks either.

A few dents here and there but it doesn't affect the sound. Another thing would be that some silver plating is missing on the tuning slides. I'm now hoping that I could maybe sell it around the $2.5-3k range but honestly I have no idea when it comes to pricing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Beef; 04-02-2020, 12:05 AM. Reason: To make thread title more specific
  • daruby
    • Apr 2006

Hello Beef,

Welcome to Dave Werden's Euphonium forum.

This is starting to feel a bit like Antiques Roadshow;-) I have a question, what is the serial number? I will get you a more exact date. It is it medium shank or large shank receiver? How long have you owned it and what, if any, repairs have you had done (and where)?

Also, it is a bit hard to tell, but it seems the leadpipe is particularly dented and the brace supporting the tuning slide to the outer branch has been resoldered (somewhat poorly). These affect value.

Overall, at this point, I would put this horn at the low end of your range. While it "may" play well, it almost certainly would need work (felts, pads, corks, cleaning, polishing, leadpipe cleanup?, solder work?) that would affect value. If it were a top condition Imperial or New Standard, in top nick, the going prices are above $3K. Horns like the one that "highpitch" has that have been fully restored by top restorers (ex: McQueens in UK) go for even more. And folks who are fans of the mid-60s to mid-70s versions of these horns, often prefer the medium(euro) shank horns.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Beef
      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by daruby View Post
      Hello Beef,

Welcome to Dave Werden's Euphonium forum.

This is starting to feel a bit like Antiques Roadshow;-) I have a question, what is the serial number? I will get you a more exact date. It is it medium shank or large shank receiver? How long have you owned it and what, if any, repairs have you had done (and where)?

Also, it is a bit hard to tell, but it seems the leadpipe is particularly dented and the brace supporting the tuning slide to the outer branch has been resoldered (somewhat poorly). These affect value.

Overall, at this point, I would put this horn at the low end of your range. While it "may" play well, it almost certainly would need work (felts, pads, corks, cleaning, polishing, leadpipe cleanup?, solder work?) that would affect value. If it were a top condition Imperial or New Standard, in top nick, the going prices are above $3K. Horns like the one that "highpitch" has that have been fully restored by top restorers (ex: McQueens in UK) go for even more. And folks who are fans of the mid-60s to mid-70s versions of these horns, often prefer the medium(euro) shank horns.

Doug
      Thanks daruby! As for the serial I'm not home at the moment so I can't really tell but once I do I'll let you know, this one has a large shank receiver and the solder work wasn't done by me, but you're right, it does need to be polished. The leadpipe used to be worse but I've been working on it little by little every week. The felts have been replaced and so have the springs. I've owned it for about half a year and any repairs done to it by me were on the leadpipe.

Comment

• Beef
        • Mar 2019

As for the price would I be able to at least make a little over 2k on this horn? I used to be crazy about besson but I've been getting more into an American sound such as Bowman or Adam Frey.

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Not sure about a little over 2k - maybe.

What mouthpiece do you use? A 51D might get your Besson to sound a little more like Adam/Brian.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Beef
            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
            Not sure about a little over 2k - maybe.

What mouthpiece do you use? A 51D might get your Besson to sound a little more like Adam/Brian.
            I currently use the BB1

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Well, so much for that idea!
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Beef
                • Mar 2019

Okay, so then if not over 2k, I'm probably going to list it around the 1.8k range, I'm hoping that's a bit more fair

Comment

• John Morgan
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                  As for the price would I be able to at least make a little over 2k on this horn? I used to be crazy about besson but I've been getting more into an American sound such as Bowman or Adam Frey.
                  Well, Brian Bowman gets his "American" sound with a Swiss Willson, and Adam Frey gets his "American" sound with a Japanese Yamaha.
                  John Morgan
                  The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
                  Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
                  1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
                  Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
                  Year Round Except Summer:
                  Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
                  KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
                  Summer Only:
                  Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
                  Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• Beef
                    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
                    Well, Brian Bowman gets his "American" sound with a Swiss Willson, and Adam Frey gets his "American" sound with a Japanese Yamaha.
                    I see what you are saying but in terms of American sound I'm talking about that warm, dark, and velvety sound they produce. Of course I know that the instrument does not make the player, but it will always still affect it. I'm not going for a British sound, hence why I wish to switch off of my B&H. No reason to come off snooty. Unless I am misunderstanding.
                    Last edited by Beef; 04-02-2020, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• highpitch
                      • Mar 2006

Please don't get upset, what we are saying is your 'sound' is around 80% you, and some 20% your axe.

We all need that 20% advantage, even after years of lessons, practice, and performance.

If blowing another horn makes your music better, go for it.

At best, try a number of horns and be objective: I've found the ears of others are much more important, for after all you are playing to them.

Dennis G.

Comment

• Beef
                        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by highpitch View Post
                        Please don't get upset, what we are saying is your 'sound' is around 80% you, and some 20% your axe.

We all need that 20% advantage, even after years of lessons, practice, and performance.

If blowing another horn makes your music better, go for it.

At best, try a number of horns and be objective: I've found the ears of others are much more important, for after all you are playing to them.

Dennis G.
                        I've played on my friend's Yamaha Neo and I've tried numerous others, I've gravitated more towards the Yamaha. I just don't like it when others assume that I haven't put in the effort to research and come to this decision, much less have to explain myself for why I'm switching horns. But thank you.

Comment

• davewerden
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                          I've played on my friend's Yamaha Neo and I've tried numerous others, I've gravitated more towards the Yamaha. I just don't like it when others assume that I haven't put in the effort to research and come to this decision, much less have to explain myself for why I'm switching horns. But thank you.
                          Many of us are busy, and I know in my own case I don't always have time to type a long, carefully-worded response. I don't see anything offensive in the comments, or in my suggestion. Just following this thread we couldn't tell how much research you have done in the past or how many horns you have tried. I've been running this forum for about 20 years, and I have learned it is not safe to assume someone has tried what I might consider an obvious step (like changing mouthpieces). So please just take the comments as our attempts to be helpful.
                          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                          Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Beef
                            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                            Many of us are busy, and I know in my own case I don't always have time to type a long, carefully-worded response. I don't see anything offensive in the comments, or in my suggestion. Just following this thread we couldn't tell how much research you have done in the past or how many horns you have tried. I've been running this forum for about 20 years, and I have learned it is not safe to assume someone has tried what I might consider an obvious step (like changing mouthpieces). So please just take the comments as our attempts to be helpful.
                            Will do, although it wasn't yours or anyone else who came off that way, just John Morgan. Although I more than likely misunderstood him as you cannot 'see'
                            or hear tone of voice through text. What he said just came off as condescending and rude so I had to cover all of my basses. Again, thank you and everyone else for their suggestions. But I wanted this thread to be about pricing this horn a price that can not only make me a profit for my savings to buy a new euphonium but that is also fair to people who may wish to buy it.

Comment

Working...
                            X