Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass Instruments Made in India

Brass Instruments Made in India

We have discussed in the past about the low quality of Indian instruments. This video gives that concept more context. They make horns for a huge number of local bands. I assume they are made to be affordable by the XYZ village band. As such they provide a valuable, appropriate product for a great cause! But that doesn't mean it would fit into our market. See what you think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGubMgSr9rk

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Hmmmm. Quality control, eh? I am not quite sure India is there yet. But keep at it.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I have one of those Tenor Sousaphones that you can easily find on ebay. The quality is basically early 1900s at best, which is to say quite poor but playable (more or less). The slides hold air (barely). The receiver is just step bored to catch the mouthpiece, but actually does. The valves actually work decently after drilling the heck out of the bottom caps. The chrome plating makes for a fantastic wall hanger if that's all your after, but it makes for a slippery mouthpiece. The particular instrument in question is pretty fun to play and with the right mouthpiece and a lot of effort, you can actually play music with it. The build quality has less to do with how poorly it performs than the fact that it's an absurd and stupid design.

I wouldn't buy a horn from India unless you really want a horn from India.

Quote Originally Posted by notaverygoodname View Post
    I wouldn't buy a horn from India unless you really want a horn from India.
    Agreed! But looking at the numbers - 700k villages that may each have multiple bands - and from hearing the quality of the bands they displayed, I think I understand how their market works for them. If I had been born there in a small village, I suspect I would have still wanted to play a horn, and would have been happy to find one I could afford. Music brings joy to the player and joy/comfort the listeners; it's a blessing to be able to participate.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Well, at least they talk about the quality of the brass that they use. can't make good instruments without good brass. The company I work for imports some leather goods from india, and some of the brass they use for buttons and fittings is just bad... badly cast, full of inclusions, etc. I don't know what level the foundries in India are like.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Herewhileback, a local music emporium was using new Indian horns for doorstops. They gave me a free one just because.

Made a nice flowerpot.

DG

Yeah, I sense that we're all really bored . . .

Steve
    Steve Petrangelo
    Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (trombone/treasurer)

Tenor Sousaphone doing what it does (National Emblem)

I am very bored. I decided to do what I do best and record myself clamming and desecrating another great piece of music.

This is a pretty reasonable expectation of what the Tenor Sousaphone from India is capable of. Considering the terrible build quality and helpless design, it's alright.

Matonizz has video comparing a cheap Indian 3 valve non-compensating euphonium to several other euphoniums. He made them all sound good, though they didn't sound the same. I would say that the Indian instrument sounded like a euphonium, but it was a bit more "trombonish" than the others. Nevertheless it didn't sound bad, at least not to me, and played in isolation without comparison to other instruments most listeners would probably have no objection. However, the others sounded a bit better in direct head-to-head comparison. The others sounded darker and smoother to my ear.

In the comment section several people commented on intonation, mostly commenting that the more expensive (compensating) instruments had better intonation. If so then I wonder how much of the intonation issues could be overcome by the performer.

A big question not addressed in the video or the comments is whether the mechanics of the instrument were any good. I am tempted to assume that since Matonizz didn't mention the mechanics they were probably at least acceptable.

Here's a link to the video. It's about two and a half years old, which coincidentally is about the same age as the beginning of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWrY3kPy3ec

There are also some 4-valve non-compensating instruments made in India. It would be interesting to see/hear how those perform.

Additional note about the video. When I look closely at the Nasi Ali from India I see that it has four valves, although the listing that Matonizz displayed in the video described it as three valves.
    Last edited by massmanute; 11-01-2022 at 01:41 AM.

On facebook, I often see posts from folks from (I guess I'll call them) 3rd world countries...individuals demonstrating pride and enjoyment playing music. It is a joy to witness.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast