Thread: Changing my small shank yamaha 48s

1. Changing my small shank yamaha 48s

Hello guys. At the moment I play in a Yamaha Yep 321 with his common mouthpiece, a small shank yamaha 48. I've been 7 years with this euphonium and his standart mouthpiece. In fact I finished my professional studies with him here in Spain, but now I'm thinking of changing my mouthpiece. I would like to get a deeper sound, also in low register despite the fact that this is a non compensating euphonium. I was thinking about a SMB4U-X or a SM5, but I don't know if is good to take a large mouthpiece like these. Nowaday I'm 19. I started my euph studies at 7 and I've been since 11 with this euph and mouthpiece, so ¿what would you recommend me?
    Thanks and regards.

Welcome to the forum!

I think of the 48 as a starter mouthpiece, so it sounds like time for you to move up. A well-regarded Yamaha artist (Paul Droste) used to play a 321, and at that time he used a Schilke 51D. It has a deeper cup and better sound.

Metal 51D with small shank

It's a pretty safe choice. The cup width is not so wide that it will be hard to get used to, and its depth will give you more of the sound you want.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Thank you so much. I will really consider that option!

I would definitely try it! Yamaha mouthpieces are also VERY economically priced. That size and style of mouthpiece is a classic Euphonium type.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Good thought, tbonesullivan. Here is the 51D from Yamaha, which is only $49.99:

Yamaha 51D Mouthpiece
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. Ok, if you recommend me that, it should be the best option, because i don't really know how hard is it to get used to a mouthpiece with a bigger cup width.

7. Another choice if you want a more British sound is the Wick 4AY. Essentially a 4AL with a small shank for the Yamaha 321.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by Minivipiu2 View Post
    Ok, if you recommend me that, it should be the best option, because i don't really know how hard is it to get used to a mouthpiece with a bigger cup width.
    I would think in Spain getting either Wick or Yamaha mouthpieces would not be an issue. You an probably get Schilke as well. There are plenty of European dealers, and amazon might sell them too.

Of course, right now, things worldwide are chaotic, so it might take a bit longer than usual.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

48 to 51 isn't a huge difference. 25.25mm to 25.55mm. You will notice, but it shouldn't be dramatic. Just take some extra time to practice so you get used to the difference.

Since they've done good business for me, I'll offer the suggestion of a Josef Klier mouthpiece. They have a decent offering of Euphonium mouthpieces. Small shank is the standard option for them. For JK, your 48 is probably their EU8C and the 51D should be their EU7A. Very similar. If for some reason, you insist on a bowl cup, you could try a TH7D or P7A. D-cup Tenorhorn mouthpiece is similar to Schilke E-cup (ie 44E4) and the A-cup Trombone mouthpiece is probably a monster. Price for any of those options is 83 euro (according to my 2019 price list).

If you can't find a vender, you can direct order from them in email. The shipping should be much faster for you than me.