Thread: What Effect Does a Euphonium Mute Product? Straight and Practice

What Effect Does a Euphonium Mute Product? Straight and Practice

As part of my new series of short demonstrations I've added one that in a little over a minutes shows the differences in euphonium sound for open, straight mute, and practice mute.

Here are the mutes I used (Peter Gane straight mute from England and a Just Brass practice mute):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peter Gane Mute.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	7503 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Just Brass Mute.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	7504

And here is a visual of the effects!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mute Waveforums.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	7505

https://youtu.be/BPAEtNX-f2o

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks Dave. Very nice demo of the differences open vs muted. The practice mute (Best Brass) sounded louder than I expected. Always liked Grainger's "Lincolnshire Posy" and 'The Brisk Young Sailor'.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    The practice mute (Best Brass) sounded louder than I expected.
    It surprised me a bit, too, at least from the graphics of the waves. When I have a chance (and have the house to myself) I might try the same thing, but with the recorder upstairs while I'm in my usual basement location. The tone is clearly different between the two mutes, with the practice mute retaining a more euphonium-like sound. But the goal of a practice mute is to not bother neighbors. The straight mute has more highs, but I'm not sure those carry as well through walls and floors as the lower tones. I'll try to come up with a wider range of repertoire for that demo. If I get really ambitious (no promises) I might make 2 full runs of the test, one with a TV in the same room as the recorder, at a normal listening volume. That might give more perspective.

In my experience, the practice mute is better at hiding me while I'm warming up at church and other groups are practicing.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Great video! Although I'm wondering how the Denis Wick travel mute compares to the best brass mute. From what I've seen when it comes to trombone the best brass mute is amazingly quiet, although I have to agree with RickF. The best brass mute was much louder than expected.