Thread: Valve springs for B&H Sovereign

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Valve springs for B&H Sovereign

Right, I have a small problem.

The springs in my B&H Round Stamp Sovereign are... not the best anymore. They're bent out of shape (outside of my doing, but still) and lost their tension somewhat.
    I ordered new Besson Sovereign springs, but they don't fit completely - sitting somewhat loose in the casing, rattling when pressing the valves and not having the right tension (possibly because they're just a bit shorter than the originals).
    I also tried Mead Springs, however, the same problems apply, except for the first and 4th valves. the second and third valves still lack the correct tension.

I have found a listing on eBay that sells Besson/B&H springs that are 3mm longer than the Sovereign springs I ordered, so that would be an option, although I don't want to spend a good €20 for something that might not turn out right anyway.
    Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-B...-/252011352690

So what do I do?
    - Just use the old springs until something better pops up and take the tension loss for granted for now?
    - Go for those springs on eBay?
    - Order a new set of Mead Springs and hope those do fit?

Another option to be rid of this problem forever is of course to inquire at Besson directly if it's possible to replace the entire valve cluster with a new, modern one, but I doubt that's possible and I expect that, if possible, to be pretty damn pricey
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

2. Maybe you are missing dampers
    https://www.euphoniumstore.net/besso...tubas-set-of-4
    These are Tuba but Im sure you can find ones for Euph
    Last edited by graeme; 03-22-2020 at 07:28 AM.

I did miss dampers, although they've never been in there to start with.
    I ordered some and just installed them, along with the new Sovereign springs, and it does seem to help a little bit, but not quite enough, so I think I'll order a new set of Mead Springs next and see if that completes the picture and solves it. Band rehearsals and concerts are cancelled anyway so if there's any time to try it, it would be now.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10