Thread: Looking for Pricing Help (Besson 1978)

Looking for Pricing Help (Besson 1978)

Update:

I'm selling the Besson on eBay, shipping included, $2,500 CAD including shipping because international rates were too bloody hard to figure out with a large package (about $1775 USD including shipping (duty taxes if any are your responsibility)) but I have a make-an-offer button so please feel free.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/143588643209

Will deal outside eBay as well but please only send a PM.

Cheers

Original:

Due to the lovely COVID-19 situation, I may be looking at selling one or all of my horns (I have some other instruments I'll fall back on for band practice). Probably on eBay as much as I hate eBay.

I was hoping the community might help me figure out what to charge for my 1978 Besson, considering its condition.

Info:

Brand: Besson 1978
    Valves: 3 valve
    Comp: Yes (Compensated)
    Finish: Matte Silver with Bright Highlights
    Playing condition: Yep! Sounds really good.
    Serial: 622404
    Case: Not original, brand new hardshell case purchased separately.
    Misc: Two of the metal taquets are replaced with plastic ones, as the original ones were cracked.
    Slides: All free / moving well
    Valves: Not giving me any issues, I admit I'm not an expert.
    Maintenance: It was cleaned about 6 months ago by a professional which is the same time 2 taquets were replaced.

Issues:

Patch of missing silver at the bottom on the front of the crook. It looks silver in the attached photo only because I put some rub-on silver on the brass, which actually worked out pretty well (better silver than brass-color I figured!) but if you wanted to even out the matte finish, the entire horn would probably have to be replated some day. Sadly the original seller of this instrument failed to point out this flaw (strategic photos were taken to hide it), and the cost to return it to him across the US-CAN border didn't make it worth my time, so I kept it as-is.

The matte silver is definitely scratched all over, it's got its fair share of wear, I do believe this horn was used as a highschool band instrument as it arrived to me in a case with highschool numbering painted on it along with stickers. There are dents but none affect the playability.

Shipping: From Canada by DHL (most likely, I get a discount from DHL and I would only charge what they charge me), paid by the buyer
    Pictures: Attached!

So, anyone want to help me out with what I might be able to charge for it? (My expectations are relatively low, don't worry)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200320_184722.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	7493 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200320_184729.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	7494 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200320_184741.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	7495 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200320_184749.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	7496 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200320_184756.jpg 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	7497 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200320_184810.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	7498 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200320_184816.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	7499 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200320_184821.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	7500 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200320_184904.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	3.79 MB 
ID:	7501 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200321_183853.jpg 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	7502
    Last edited by ametropia; 04-25-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    "Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl."
    "The end (of the world) will come, but love and music live forever."

Euph: Geneva Symphony (4v-comp, trig)
    Euph: Besson New Standard (3v-comp 1978)
    Bari: Wessex BR-140 (3v-comp, lacquer)
    Mpcs: Euph (SM4) Bari (Stork T1)

That's a pretty nice example of this design! There is one for sale now, lacquered, which is in almost as good condition, but the valves look worse than yours, which may or may not need to be addressed. His price is $1,299:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-Bes...k/153579620836

This is where it gets tough, though. In a comparative sense yours is worth more, say $1,600. But when you get there (even at 1,299) you're within range of a new 4-valve compensating Wessex. Now the Bessons were legendary for tone and construction, but the Wessex is a newer design and has 4 valves. So it's a matter of finding the right buyer. The 3-valve compensating works very well if you don't care about notes below low concert E (which many folks won't care about).

That's the best I can say right now. Lots of guesswork involved here! Too bad Carnac passed away - he might have been able to sense the answer!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks Dave!

I love this horn, I'm loathe to sell it but... tough times.

I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of the Geneva and keeping the Besson, lol. Though I do really like my Geneva she's kind of my primary horn right now.

I hate this virus so damn much.

4. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    That's a pretty nice example of this design! There is one for sale now, lacquered, which is in almost as good condition, but the valves look worse than yours, which may or may not need to be addressed. His price is $1,299:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-Bes...k/153579620836

This is where it gets tough, though. In a comparative sense yours is worth more, say $1,600. But when you get there (even at 1,299) you're within range of a new 4-valve compensating Wessex. Now the Bessons were legendary for tone and construction, but the Wessex is a newer design and has 4 valves. So it's a matter of finding the right buyer. The 3-valve compensating works very well if you don't care about notes below low concert E (which many folks won't care about).
    I want to second everything that Dave said about 3-valve Besson New Standards and your horn in particular. If this were a 4 valve horn, I would say $3,000-ish or perhaps more. BUT...the lack of the 4th valve is a serious impediment as more and more literature calls for it. I do play a 3-valve British baritone, but the literature for baritone does not call for the 4th valve.

Your horn is a REALLY nice one. If I were still marching which I am not (68 yrs old and recovered from heart attack 20 yrs ago), I would be tempted. OTOH, this would be a fantastic horn for a middle-schooler who wants an "intermediate" instrument to take them through HS. Or a community band player.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by ametropia View Post
    I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of the Geneva and keeping the Besson, lol. Though I do really like my Geneva she's kind of my primary horn right now.
    Besson may be the Stradivarius of euphoniums, but if the Geneva is the horn of your heart, which it sounds like it/she is, make it/her the horn that you keep. There is no shame in that.
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    Besson may be the Stradivarius of euphoniums, but if the Geneva is the horn of your heart, which it sounds like it/she is, make it/her the horn that you keep. There is no shame in that.
    - Sara
    I completely agree

I'm actually considering selling all 3 of my horns. I've switched to Bassoon for now in the community band (whenever we get back together anyway) and I'm enjoying the challenge of it, plus I'm really useful to them on Bassoon (and we already have a Euphonium aside from myself).

I'm lucky enough to play about a dozen instruments, but I'm not lucky enough to have the space to store them all.

We'll see!

I'm selling the Besson on eBay

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/143588643209

Will deal outside eBay as well but please only send a PM.

Cheers
    Last edited by ametropia; 05-06-2020 at 02:10 PM.