Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a whole lot going on...

Not a whole lot going on...

Covid19 has shut down our concert band; no rehearsals nor performances.

Virtually all AZ schools, like the one we rehearsed in, are closed.

I'd suppose it is the same in a lot of US localities, the Brits have literally locked down the entire brass band scene. https://www.4barsrest.com/news/latest

DDG
    Last edited by highpitch; 03-19-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Same here in The Netherlands. I suppose all countries affected by the virus have taken similar measures.

Same here in S. Florida. Concert dates moved and rehearsals cancelled. I suspect the new concert dates will end up be cancelled all together. This is a terrible pandemic with a huge risk to people in groups or crowds. Pretty sure this season is over for us.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those at risk and for those medical workers on the front line.

"Stay home, stay safe, stay healthy"
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Same here even in remote South Dakota which has only a handful of cases of the virus. Schools shut. All music shut down, including New Horizons Band, Black Hills Symphony Orchestra, etc.

But I fully support the actions being taken in order to try to cut down on the spread of coronavirus. Linda and I are just chilling out at home.

A lot of time to play my horns and work on "the next solo".

Be safe everyone!! Follow the guidelines!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    ... only a handful of cases of the virus...
    Don't be mistaken, that's how it starts. In The Netherlands it started february 27th with one confirmed case, within three weeks it was over 1.000! And that's only the confirmed cases, they're not even testing every suspected patient anymore (only the ones who are at risk of severe complications). After that, the government announced a shutdown-light.
    So I guess you're right to shut most social activities down and stay home. Only go out if really necessary.

Indiana is also closed down. Schools are out until May 1st (at the earliest), Indianapolis Brass Choir, Indiana Wind Symphony, and Crossroads Brass Band all on hiatus until further notice...mother-in-law can't leave her senior living community and we can't come in. ;-)
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

7. All's quiet here in the greater Massachusetts scene. All of the musical organizations I normally work with are shut down. For sure, I have no musical activities now through the end of April, and in all likelihood for longer than that.

My wife and I will complete day 7 of "Social Distancing" tomorrow. I have to admit, that at the expense of not practicing, I have gotten lots of household projects done. Grocery stores just started "senior hours" here today (5:30A - 7A and 7A - 9A depending on store). We are going out for just 3 reasons; groceries, pharmacy, and curb-side takeout at the four locally owned restaurants that are still open.

One thing that I am doing, as appointments for things like hairdressers (not for me), massage therapy, and others are canceled, is to make sure we try to pay the affected provider anyway, since, like our fellow professional musicians, they have no other support. So many of my fellow musicians that are dependent on their music for their livelihood are just gutted. We donated the unused portion of our BSO season tickets to the organization rather than asking for a refund in the hopes it will help a bit. Another program that we are contributing to is our local Council on Aging. There is a companion private organization that works with the COA called "Friends of the Elders" that can take private donations and work with the Senior Center to deliver groceries and other supplies to the most at-risk and in-need seniors.

In any case, I must admit that while my music is not giving me much relief right now, I am working hard to stay busy and productive. I was already planning my retirement in summer of 2021 from the serious high-intensity year round performance that I normally participate. I turn 70 in July 2021. I want to relax back to community groups, perhaps just summer, christmas, July 4, etc. and work on the "bucket list" and more casual interests. I hope that decision has not already been made for me.

May all of you be well, safe, and healthy!

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 03-20-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I play in a community band in the Seattle suburbs. We haven't rehearsed since February 27th due to COVID-19 closures at the time in some area schools. Since then, of course, all schools were closed and no large gatherings are permitted.

We were informed tonight that our "spring term" rehearsals and performance have now also been cancelled, and we will be told later whether our handful of summer performances in various parks will take place.

I'm all for the social distancing, especially as a sexagenarian (I always enjoy using that word!), but miss playing with the group and seeing the gang nonetheless.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishlips View Post
    ...I'm all for the social distancing, especially as a sexagenarian (I always enjoy using that word!), but miss playing with the group and seeing the gang nonetheless.
    As a septuagenarian, I am practicing social distancing, too, but I miss playing with my groups, also. I have mild emphysema, which would be bad news paired with coronavirus.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Things looking bad in my country too. Government gave the Stay At Home order, but people still flaunt it and many, I mean many, tried to travel interstate. They're getting the military to assist the police in manning checkpoints starting Sunday.

Just got news that the Wind Festival in my country got cancelled. I was so looking forward to it and was practicing a piece for it.

Been working from home, the weather has been harsh, but at least I get to toot on my Euph for a bit on and off throughout the day.

Our community band had a full program lined up too this year, most of them were scrapped. Not sure about the ones during year end.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast