Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good quality cheap used horn

1. Quote Originally Posted by mood indigo View Post
    Dave, you make an excellent point! Thank you for that information Richard. Just curious, when you bought the horn from them was it listed as being in good playing condition and having the valves in good working order?
    Yes.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

2. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Here is another option. It is branded as Elkhart and is silver plated. It looks like the typical American euphonium of that era and was probably made by Buescher as their student line instrument. I had a similar Conn student level horn before I got my 4-valve King and it was a nice instrument. The trim is not as fancy, but the basic design is the same as the more expensive models. Bid is at $125 now. Often you can get these for a very reasonable price if the bidding doesn't go crazy. This has a good-looking case, so that would be an advantage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184212317568

Attachment 7490
    Dave,

I am almost certain this is a Conn stencil. The wrap (1st valve in particular) and shape of the bell makes it look identical to a Conn 14I.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Dave,

I am almost certain this is a Conn stencil. The wrap (1st valve in particular) and shape of the bell makes it look identical to a Conn 14I.

Doug
    Thanks - I agree 100%. After all, the Conn was copied by others and was probably the best simple design around. And the Elkhart company was started by the presidents of Buescher and Conn (according to the Wikipedia article I linked). In addition, the thing just flat-out looks identical to the Conn I owned from 7th-10th grade.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. By the way, if the serial number is a CONN serial number, this is a 1914-15 model, however if it were a "Pan-American" number, it would be 1937-38. In the latter timeframe, Conn produced the 50I (Conn) and the 52I (Pan American). The 52I had the fixed bell and straight cut slide ends, while the 50I had the removable bell and rolled slide ends. The bracing and wrap on these two models is nearly identical to the Elkhart pictured.
    Last edited by daruby; 03-16-2020 at 07:56 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I hope the Olds works out. If it doesn't and you can't find anything else, you might take a look at https://www.jimlaabsmusicstore.com/s...ed-euphoniums/.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

6. The Olds has arrived! So far it seems to play alright. The valves are little noisy but have a good action and aren't wiggling back and forth at all. When I seal the bell and blow air, there is some coming out around the hinge where it connects. Not just from the missing screw hole, but out of the actual joint. When I blow air through it with the bell unsealed, it does kind of have a "punctured lung" feel where not all of it seems to be getting through. It plays smoothly though and the tone is good, it maybe gets a little airy sounding in the higher register (Bb4). It also has an old musty raw brass smell which I don't really mind but comes off on my hands. Are there any suggestions for further tests/maintenance/cleaning I should do?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12