Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miraphone 56 oval euphonium 5 valve (rotary)

Miraphone 56 oval euphonium 5 valve (rotary)

I have a question that some may have the answer. Baltimore Brass has a used Miraphone 56 oval with 5 rotary valves on their web page for sale. When I inquired about the instrument, I asked for the shank size. The response was they tried a small shank and it was too small and the euro didn't go all the way into the receiver. Does anyone have any ideas on this. I would have guessed an euro shank based on my B&S oval. The reason for my interest is certain finger patterns on my compensator are getting increasingly difficult depending on how the arthritis is. I like the B&S oval and do well on a straight 4 up valve non compensator. I'm not driving all the way to Baltimore Brass with no idea what to expect. The front valve Festivo is another possible solution when the time comes. Thanks
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

All the 56 series 5-valve models aren't oval, rather parallel like a little tuba.

DG

11.5mm shank. Josef Klier sells mouthpieces for this as the option "-B shaft". Probably some other companies do as well, but I've never asked. If you have a custom mouthpiece shop that you prefer, they should be able to make you a compatible mouthpiece. It is not the same as Besson medium shank.

Quote Originally Posted by notaverygoodname View Post
    11.5mm shank. Josef Klier sells mouthpieces for this as the option "-B shaft". Probably some other companies do as well, but I've never asked. If you have a custom mouthpiece shop that you prefer, they should be able to make you a compatible mouthpiece. It is not the same as Besson medium shank.
    Thanks for the input. I checked on the Klier website. If I buy the horn, I can get a shank from Warburton to fit my cups. I knew with all the knowledge in this forum, someone would come up with the solution.
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S

Quote Originally Posted by notaverygoodname View Post
    I just got email from Miraphone in Germany and she says it is a 11.1 but she might have converted the figures wrong.
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S

The Baltimore Brass writeup calls it a 54L "Kaiserbaritone" in one place, and a 56 Oval Baritone in the other. The 56B looks like a "little tuba", and I also see a 56L, which is oval.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Quote Originally Posted by BDeisinger View Post
    I just got email from Miraphone in Germany and she says it is a 11.1 but she might have converted the figures wrong.
    Never heard of 11.1, but if it was, a small shank (10.8mm) would fit the receiver as it's only 6mm difference in length. A small shank mouthpiece with a long enough shank, like a Schilke, will actually just barely fit an 11.5mm receiver. If they measured the receiver, they probably converted the insertion depth wrong. An 11.5mm shank mouthpiece doesn't sit as deep as you'd expect.

The picture on the Baltimore Brass site shows an oval 5-valve Bariton. The 11.25" bell measurement and curved linkage arms would indicate that it's an early 54L. Miraphone currently makes a 5-valve 54L. I played one at their factory last year. Really sweet instrument, super responsive, but it will be less euphonium-like than a 56 would be.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Quote Originally Posted by adrian_quince View Post
    The picture on the Baltimore Brass site shows an oval 5-valve Bariton. The 11.25" bell measurement and curved linkage arms would indicate that it's an early 54L. Miraphone currently makes a 5-valve 54L. I played one at their factory last year. Really sweet instrument, super responsive, but it will be less euphonium-like than a 56 would be.
    Adrian, thanks for your input. The owner of the horn has no mouthpiece that I guess truly fits the horn. He said he uses either a shortened euro shank or a trombone mouthpiece with tape around the shank which makes be think the shortened euro shank is the 11.5. However, I'm probably going to take a run down to Baltimore to take a look at the horn since traffic is light with the virus shutting things down.
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast