Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mead Springs worth it?

1. Mead Springs worth it?

So I've read a lot about the MeadSprings and how they are quieter, individually strengthened for each valve, and all sorts of other stuff. I've also spoken to some peers who say that they are very good but some others say they are too tight or too awkward. I just wanted some opinions from some more people to see if they are worth the buy.

I tried the original Mead springs and they were too strong for my tastes. Since then they've come out with a medium strength which I hear or read have good review.

Welcome to the forum.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I'm using the light springs in a Yamaha Neo and also had a set in a Mack 1150.
    As Rick did, I found the regular Mead Springs too strong--but I really like the light ones.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

I have been using them ( the original ones) from some years: at the beginning I found them too hard, but then I insisted and in the end I got used to it. It's a bit like bodybuilding: increasing the load you get stronger.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Several years ago I switched out the stock springs in my Schiller Elite with standard Mead Springs. I like them a lot and personally don't find them too heavy. The stock springs on my horn were a little bouncy/rebound-y, especially during fast passages. I feel like I have more control of the valves with the standard Mead Springs.

I have used the Mead springs for many years and like them a lot. Be aware that different horns have a different amount of vertical space between the bottom of the piston and the bottom valve cap. I like fairly strong springs, but on my horn the #1 spring was much too strong for my taste. My original solution was to buy 2 sets, and use the #2&3 springs for 123. With the lighter Mead springs now available, we have a new option. I tried a set in an Adams loaner and they were a nice solution.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. Unrelated Question

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I have used the Mead springs for many years and like them a lot. Be aware that different horns have a different amount of vertical space between the bottom of the piston and the bottom valve cap. I like fairly strong springs, but on my horn the #1 spring was much too strong for my taste. My original solution was to buy 2 sets, and use the #2&3 springs for 123. With the lighter Mead springs now available, we have a new option. I tried a set in an Adams loaner and they were a nice solution.

Thanks for the input! I just have one question since I'm new here, how do I add the little things under my posts that others have that have their horn model, mouthpiece, title, etc.?

You can add your horn info etc. by clicking on 'Forum actions' up top, then 'edit profile' then 'edit signature'.

Hope this helps.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

atm I'm only using one Mead spring in my Sovereign's 4th valve - for the rest of the valves, it feels like it's not strong enough, but other Sovereign springs I've tried also didn't fit that well aside from the ones that were already in there when I got it, so maybe it's just my valves that are a bit funky.

It works really well in that 4th valve though, most notably the absence of any sound.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

I was using Yamaha springs in my Mack Brass (JinBao) horn. I started using the lighter version of Mead springs a few months ago, and I like the change.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast