X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlazansky
    • Feb 2020

Mead Springs worth it?

So I've read a lot about the MeadSprings and how they are quieter, individually strengthened for each valve, and all sorts of other stuff. I've also spoken to some peers who say that they are very good but some others say they are too tight or too awkward. I just wanted some opinions from some more people to see if they are worth the buy.
    Jared Lazansky
    Besson 2051 Prestige
    K&G 4D+
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

I tried the original Mead springs and they were too strong for my tastes. Since then they've come out with a medium strength which I hear or read have good review.

Welcome to the forum.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Snorlax
      • Mar 2007

I'm using the light springs in a Yamaha Neo and also had a set in a Mack 1150.
      As Rick did, I found the regular Mead Springs too strong--but I really like the light ones.
      Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
      Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
      bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
      Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
      Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
      Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
      www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• franz
        • Dec 2015

I have been using them ( the original ones) from some years: at the beginning I found them too hard, but then I insisted and in the end I got used to it. It's a bit like bodybuilding: increasing the load you get stronger.
        2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• aroberts781
          • Sep 2014

Several years ago I switched out the stock springs in my Schiller Elite with standard Mead Springs. I like them a lot and personally don't find them too heavy. The stock springs on my horn were a little bouncy/rebound-y, especially during fast passages. I feel like I have more control of the valves with the standard Mead Springs.
          1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
          1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

I have used the Mead springs for many years and like them a lot. Be aware that different horns have a different amount of vertical space between the bottom of the piston and the bottom valve cap. I like fairly strong springs, but on my horn the #1 spring was much too strong for my taste. My original solution was to buy 2 sets, and use the #2&3 springs for 123. With the lighter Mead springs now available, we have a new option. I tried a set in an Adams loaner and they were a nice solution.
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
            YouTube: dwerden
            Facebook: davewerden
            Twitter: davewerden
            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• jlazansky
              • Feb 2020

Unrelated Question

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
              I have used the Mead springs for many years and like them a lot. Be aware that different horns have a different amount of vertical space between the bottom of the piston and the bottom valve cap. I like fairly strong springs, but on my horn the #1 spring was much too strong for my taste. My original solution was to buy 2 sets, and use the #2&3 springs for 123. With the lighter Mead springs now available, we have a new option. I tried a set in an Adams loaner and they were a nice solution.

Thanks for the input! I just have one question since I'm new here, how do I add the little things under my posts that others have that have their horn model, mouthpiece, title, etc.?
              Jared Lazansky
              Besson 2051 Prestige
              K&G 4D+

Comment

• RickF
                • Jan 2006

You can add your horn info etc. by clicking on 'Forum actions' up top, then 'edit profile' then 'edit signature'.

Hope this helps.
                Rick Floyd
                Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• TheJH
                  • Dec 2014

atm I'm only using one Mead spring in my Sovereign's 4th valve - for the rest of the valves, it feels like it's not strong enough, but other Sovereign springs I've tried also didn't fit that well aside from the ones that were already in there when I got it, so maybe it's just my valves that are a bit funky.

It works really well in that 4th valve though, most notably the absence of any sound.
                  Euphoniums
                  2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
                  1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
                  Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
                  Baritone
                  1975 Besson New Standard
                  Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

• dsurkin
                    • Feb 2014

I was using Yamaha springs in my Mack Brass (JinBao) horn. I started using the lighter version of Mead springs a few months ago, and I like the change.
                    Dean L. Surkin
                    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
                    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
                    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
                    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• Trenton
                      • Jan 2018

I'm adding another positive comment to using Mead springs.

I'm using a simple Conn 14i, 3-valve "baritone" from the later 1960's with "MEADSPRINGS for Baritone and Non-compensation Euphoniums" and am really happy I ordered them. I don't remember the 4-pact costing all that much, even with overseas shipping - maybe around $40 or so.

Here's what immediately proved the $40 was worth it; we were playing John Higgins "The Sixties" and early in the piece the trombones and us, baritones, played the melody to "Breaking up is hard to do" which for me, played a middle, Ab to Eb to open-F and back up to Ab again and of course, the 'bones were pushing us faster... my problem, then was my first valve wouldn't return fast enough to pay a clean, open-F. I tried different oils - which is annoying to switch having to clean the valve casing between each different oil (blue juice, Al's Class Fast Action, Holton). Anyway valve oil didn't help, but the Mead springs did help.

please understand, our director was so annoyed with almost everyone in our comm. band throughout that piece - in that many would not follow the tunes as written but as we remembered, or more like, how we thought we remembered the popular tunes - so a lot of comments and yelling and so a bigger deal to me to play out a clean, open-F and not be a focus of our director.

Anyway the MEAD SPRINGS worked then and two years later, still work very well.

Sorry - a bit long for a positive review but this telecommuting thing for a database programmer in southern Penna is difficult, difficult to remain focused.

Trent

Click image for larger version

Name:	Conn14i-LyrePic1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	117671

Comment

• jblack1
                        • Dec 2018

I have a 1984 Hirsbrunner 378S. Will the Mead springs work for my euphonium?

Comment

Working...
                        X