Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Selecting a Besson

Well if you have your heart set on a Besson, then I wish you good luck on your endeavors to find one. However in the price range I would suggest the Wessex Dolce or the newer Wessex Sinfonico. I own the Dolce myself and I love it, good tone good intonation, good projection, and only at 1500 bucks. The Sinfonico doesn’t have an official release yet but there is a preorder available. I was fortunate to play it at wessex’s showroom and I was hooked, for me it was perfect and I loved every second. So if you want a recommendation, I suggest Wessex
    Wessex Dolce
    Denis Wick Ultra SM4X

“Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, that is why we call it the present.” -Master Oogway

Quote Originally Posted by dreamscape View Post
    It seems I was not quick enough to purchase the 767 at Duchy. I appreciate all the insight and information. If anyone knows of a comparable horn in the $3k range I would appreciate any links or a heads-up. My son's 321 plays very well but he's getting to a level where it may make it more challenging to advance. Thank you!
    Scott
    Are you still looking? That Boosey and Hawke's is still there at Dillon Music.

If I didn't already have a Euphonium, I would have bought it.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/used-boo...informationtab

Sure it's got some lacquer wear, but that price is really good, and they were made in the same exact factory as the Besson Euph's, by the same people.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

3. HI: I'm still here! The world sort of changed in the last few weeks and I confess I've been distracted. The Euph at Dillons is looking better all the time. Thank You to everyone keeping their eyes peeled and helping with so much good info. I'm a trumpet player (doc says that does Not qualify me for a handicapped sticker) so I'm still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamscape View Post
    HI: I'm still here! The world sort of changed in the last few weeks and I confess I've been distracted.
    You can say that again. I was just about to bring my horns in to Dillon Music for some adjustment and de-denting, and now everything is pretty much on hold, for who knows how long.

Dillon is still running but only curbside service for repairs. They will ship horns and items still I think.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

5. There is a euphonium available over at Tubenet: http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic....2d67d65a78c588 and it seems very reasonable. I hoping someone more experienced can help me with why it hasn't already been purchased. I mean, without being mean-spirited and all, I'm hot seeing big red flags. Thank You!
    Scott

It's possible that disposable income is at a premium right now and people don't want older horns for a student especially a series known to have sharp 6th partials. That horn does look beautiful but I'm afraid I don't know enough about Besson to give proper advice.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

7. Hey There! We admittedly missed out on several very good offerings. We ended up going with a B&H Imperial from about 1974, I believe just before the "round stamp" iteration. Has the large shank lead pipe. It does suffer from the clacky valve issues. Sending to to Bob Reeves to do an alignment and hopefully address some of that. Would definitely like to thank Jenny Thomas at Duchy Brass in the UK for making this horn available and making the international transaction and shipping happen seamlessly. She was right on point as far as communicating and sharing info quickly and informatively. A great person to work with.
    Will check in with some follow up once it comes back. --Scott

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123