Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamscape
    • Mar 2020

It seems I was not quick enough to purchase the 767 at Duchy. I appreciate all the insight and information. If anyone knows of a comparable horn in the $3k range I would appreciate any links or a heads-up. My son's 321 plays very well but he's getting to a level where it may make it more challenging to advance. Thank you!
    Scott

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by tbonesullivan View Post
      Yeah, it's just not as durable as the modern epoxy lacquers. Also, it isn't very heat resistant. If you give an older Bach trombone a hot bath... the lacquer falls right off. I think even Bach has now seen the light and gone with epoxy. Nitrocellulose is just bad news overall.
      In the case of the eBay horn, it has to have been re-lacquered (because of all the apparent buffing its had). It would be quite possible a more modern lacquer is now on the horn. FWIW.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Shinn
        • Feb 2020

Since the Besson 767 circa 1980 (referenced/linked earlier) was a predecessor to the Sovereign series, how does it compare to the 968 (London) in tone and overall performance with its slightly smaller bore (.580)?
        David Shinn
        Peninsula Concert Band
        Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
        1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
        1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
        1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
        Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Shinn View Post
          Since the Besson 767 circa 1980 (referenced/linked earlier) was a predecessor to the Sovereign series, how does it compare to the 968 (London) in tone and overall performance with its slightly smaller bore (.580)?
          I believe all the Bessons made in the British factory had a .580 bore. The larger bore did not show up until the German production. The BRITISH 968 had a 580 bore. I know on the Sovereign 967 they only changed the leadpipe and bell from the 767 series. Not sure exactly what they changed on the 968, but it did have a little nicer sound (IMO) than the 767. The German versions have a 590 bore.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Shinn
            • Feb 2020

And when comparing the 968 to the mid-1970’s Besson New Standard / Boosey & Hawkes Imperial, what is the opinion with regards to tone, intonation, responsiveness, etc?
            David Shinn
            Peninsula Concert Band
            Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
            1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
            1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
            1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
            Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• euphguy123
              • Feb 2020

Well if you have your heart set on a Besson, then I wish you good luck on your endeavors to find one. However in the price range I would suggest the Wessex Dolce or the newer Wessex Sinfonico. I own the Dolce myself and I love it, good tone good intonation, good projection, and only at 1500 bucks. The Sinfonico doesn’t have an official release yet but there is a preorder available. I was fortunate to play it at wessex’s showroom and I was hooked, for me it was perfect and I loved every second. So if you want a recommendation, I suggest Wessex
              Wessex Dolce
              Denis Wick Ultra SM4X

“Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, that is why we call it the present.” -Master Oogway

Comment

• tbonesullivan
                • Jul 2019

Originally posted by dreamscape View Post
                It seems I was not quick enough to purchase the 767 at Duchy. I appreciate all the insight and information. If anyone knows of a comparable horn in the $3k range I would appreciate any links or a heads-up. My son's 321 plays very well but he's getting to a level where it may make it more challenging to advance. Thank you!
                Scott
                Are you still looking? That Boosey and Hawke's is still there at Dillon Music.

If I didn't already have a Euphonium, I would have bought it.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/used-boo...informationtab

Sure it's got some lacquer wear, but that price is really good, and they were made in the same exact factory as the Besson Euph's, by the same people.
                Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Comment

• dreamscape
                  • Mar 2020

HI: I'm still here! The world sort of changed in the last few weeks and I confess I've been distracted. The Euph at Dillons is looking better all the time. Thank You to everyone keeping their eyes peeled and helping with so much good info. I'm a trumpet player (doc says that does Not qualify me for a handicapped sticker) so I'm still learning.

Comment

• tbonesullivan
                    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by dreamscape View Post
                    HI: I'm still here! The world sort of changed in the last few weeks and I confess I've been distracted.
                    You can say that again. I was just about to bring my horns in to Dillon Music for some adjustment and de-denting, and now everything is pretty much on hold, for who knows how long.

Dillon is still running but only curbside service for repairs. They will ship horns and items still I think.
                    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Comment

• dreamscape
                      • Mar 2020

There is a euphonium available over at Tubenet: http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic....2d67d65a78c588 and it seems very reasonable. I hoping someone more experienced can help me with why it hasn't already been purchased. I mean, without being mean-spirited and all, I'm hot seeing big red flags. Thank You!
                      Scott

Comment

• JakeGuilbo
                        • Feb 2006

It's possible that disposable income is at a premium right now and people don't want older horns for a student especially a series known to have sharp 6th partials. That horn does look beautiful but I'm afraid I don't know enough about Besson to give proper advice.
                        Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
                        K&G 3.5D
                        ---------------------------------
                        Founder and Solo Euphonium
                        San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

• dreamscape
                          • Mar 2020

Hey There! We admittedly missed out on several very good offerings. We ended up going with a B&H Imperial from about 1974, I believe just before the "round stamp" iteration. Has the large shank lead pipe. It does suffer from the clacky valve issues. Sending to to Bob Reeves to do an alignment and hopefully address some of that. Would definitely like to thank Jenny Thomas at Duchy Brass in the UK for making this horn available and making the international transaction and shipping happen seamlessly. She was right on point as far as communicating and sharing info quickly and informatively. A great person to work with.
                          Will check in with some follow up once it comes back. --Scott

Comment

Working...
                          X