Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mead mouthpiece question

Mead mouthpiece question

In the video Dave linked to here

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...e#.XmGi3JNKifU

it seems Steve is using a mouthpiece I don't recognize. Can someone identify it for me?

Thanks,

John

Well, to answer my own question, sort of, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alXcOzzy658

someone asks that in the comments, and Steve answers it is "secret, for now."

This is a beautiful, lyrical movement and it is played with great sensitivity. The sound is tighter; I keep thinking of a French horn sound. Wish i could have heard this live.

I communicated with Steve on Jan. 12 and he said it might be a few months before it can be announced. I'm intrigued because of the exterior shape, which is similar to the classic Wick. The more I try other mouthpieces, the more I think the openness of the 4AL is compromised by mouthpieces with a more convex outer shape.

If I hear more I'll let you know. Wick has some other new products already in the launch queue, I believe, and they don't want those to stomp on this new mp's release.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    In the video Dave linked to here

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...e#.XmGi3JNKifU

it seems Steve is using a mouthpiece I don't recognize. Can someone identify it for me?

Thanks,

John
    I had the opportunity to try it recently at a masterclass with Steven Mead: the shape resembles that of the classic model with much more mass on the rim and the rounded edge of XR. I can't say anything else as it was a small size for me and I only played a few notes with it.If I remember correctly Steven said the new mouthpiece will be called " Mythos".
    Last edited by franz; 03-06-2020 at 06:34 PM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

This intrigues me greatly, as I have been wanting to get a new piece for a while, and was almost 100% settled on a Wick Ultra 5X, to replace my Bach 5G. I always loved the sound the standard Wicks gave me, but the rim always felt uncomfortable after 10 minutes of playing, whereas the Bach doesn't tire me out so much.

I'll watch with keen interest when this 'Mythos'piece comes to market.
    Jarrod Handley

His new mouthpiece is based on a mix of the original SM mouthpiece and the Ultra. He says that he has tried to get the best from both of those mouthpieces into a new design.

I’ve heard that it may still be quite a while before it becomes available, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DEF1 View Post
    His new mouthpiece is based on a mix of the original SM mouthpiece and the Ultra. He says that he has tried to get the best from both of those mouthpieces into a new design.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    I’ve heard that it may still be quite a while before it becomes available, though.
    Yes Mike,

I believe it has been delayed due to one of the guys at the factory who was heavily involved with production suddenly passing away and further delayed by covid shutting everything down.
    JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

Well, I look forward to trying it. I played the SM3 for years, then switched to the SM3U, which was great except it was hard on the chops for extended playing periods. I tried the SM3X, but it felt too tight on the face and interfered with my high range after I was fully warmed up. Ironically, the best MP for me has been the Alliance E2, which was briefly sold as the "Mead 2." So I'm playing a Mead 2, but will want to see how the new model Wick works for me.

10. I play the 4AL most of the time, but also play the Alliance E3 and my DE Euph J9 103. I also love the sound of my Alliance E3 (aka Prestige E3) but suffer from stamina issues after 1-2 hours of playing unless I am in the 2-3 hours/day of practice mode (which I am NOT). The DE has a better sound than the 4AL also and my stamina is fine for most normal wind band work, but stamina as solo euph in the NEBB was an issue. If you include the Alliance mouthpiece, Mr. Mead has had 5 signature series of mouthpieces not counting the newest one since the original SM series. Before the SM3/3.5 I suspect he played a Wick 3AL...
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast