Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snake Charmer
    • Sep 2020

From the range it is easy to cover euphonium parts with the french c tuba, but it can be difficult to blend with other euphoniums soundwise. The euphoniums tend to velvety sound, while the french c can be handled anywhere between duck cotton and liquid silver. But it will never deliver thick velvet plush.
    If you have to play one part together with an euphonium you will always cut through and stand out.
    But this was not the reason for its way into oblivion, it was just the globalisation of sound in the 1970s. The national/regional differences in orchestra soundwere not longer appreciated, so the french c tuba, the piston valve french horns (=the french french horns!), the pea-shooter trombones, the g bass trombones, the wooden flutes and some others went into the wardrobes and out of the world. Today it is a bit of work to understand and re-learn the needed skills for mastering those beasts.

Comment

• franz
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Snake Charmer View Post
      From the range it is easy to cover euphonium parts with the french c tuba, but it can be difficult to blend with other euphoniums soundwise. The euphoniums tend to velvety sound, while the french c can be handled anywhere between duck cotton and liquid silver. But it will never deliver thick velvet plush.
      In my opinion, with the homogenization of sounds in wind orchestras, a lot has been lost from the point of view of the color and panache they once had. When, about sixty years ago, I started my first steps in the town band there were instruments that are no longer part of the modern band: I am referring to the soprano flugelhorn, soprano flugelhorn in Eb, small clarinet in Eb, alto flugelhorn in Eb (tenor horn), basses in F and Eb, soprano sax, tenor flugelhorn (baritone horn): undoubtedly the technical level of the components has improved a lot (I attended the students course within the band and after a few months I joined the staff, while today most of the members have a high school diploma or a degree from the conservatory. Over the years, I have had to adapt to learn to play the various instruments in a just decent way ( euphonium, baritone and trombone) as a self-taught person Now a new phase of learning with the French tuba begins.
      2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

Working...
      X