Thread: forced vital capacity (fvc), improving fvc, and breath management while playing

forced vital capacity (fvc), improving fvc, and breath management while playing

Hi,

I wonder if we could spend some time discussing forced vital capacity (fvc, the volume of air that can forcibly be blown out after full inspiration), breath management strategies while playing, and methods that might be used to increase fvc.

Thanks.

I don't believe it's possible to increase vital capacity; the size of your lung is the size of your lung.

That said, it's definitely possible to increase the percentage of your lung that gets used while breathing.

I've been using an ultrabreathe before practicing to remind myself to take a full breath, and I use an inspirometer to help with breath control, making me take slow measured inhalation. Both of these things have been quite helpful in my breath control. Oh, and also getting off the couch and doing some cardio... I'm still working on that one!
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by massmanute View Post
    Hi,

I wonder if we could spend some time discussing forced vital capacity (fvc, the volume of air that can forcibly be blown out after full inspiration), breath management strategies while playing, and methods that might be used to increase fvc.

Thanks.
    I would be careful using the various breathing devices. Most are designed to exercise breathing muscles for people that having breathing issues. As such, you can use much more pressure for inhalation/exhalation than you ever would playing your horn. That can result in tension and poor a breathing pattern. A useful tool taught by Roger Bobo is to blow (just air) through the horn with all valves open and then again with all valves down. With all valves down, the pitch will be lower. Do it again with all valves down and make the pitch the same as open. That way, you are just using the horn as resistance.

Mike