Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information on Beeson 2-20 Serial Number 477468

Information on Beeson 2-20 Serial Number 477468

What can you tell me about this horn? From general descriptions of differences between baritones and euphoniums, it is difficult to know which it is. Also, the pistons are pitted. Is there a refurbish option? Are replacement pistons available and where?
    Any information is greatly appreciated as I am just restarting something I last did in 1970.

Welcome to our forum, the most euphonium-centric community on the web!

Can you supply photos of the instrument and valves? And do you already own this horn or are you considering buying it?

It was made in ~1970, so it would have a medium-shank receiver. You would need a medium-shank mouthpiece.

The date information can be found in the Reference section of this forum, specifically here:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...sey-amp-Hawkes

Pitted pistons may be OK for a while at least - that's why I asked for photos. But if they are too bad, valves would need to be stripped, replated, and lapped. This would cost several hundred dollars.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks. I was gifted the instrument complete w/mouthpiece but sans case. I am tech-challenged and haven’t figured out a way to share pix with you (using iPhone)

Sentiment may come into play here, and I'm not trying to rain on your parade.

However, the 2-20 was the economy line of Besson's production then and may not be worth repairing.

Dennis

The old Besson loaned to my by my college had some pitting on the pistons, but it was still fine. The pitting was not severe, and did not exist in contact with any of the ports, so it did not seem to affect the valves' seal. If the horn works OK, and given the fact that it was a cheaper line, I'd say just play it!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you for the helpful observations. Please explain how to post pictures using iPhone.
    TJ

TJ,

To post an image from your iPhone that picture should already be on your phone. Start a reply in this thread, then you have to slide the the typing area up (to get it above the keyboard that's probably in the way), then tap 'go advanced'. Scroll down till you see 'Additional Options' and look for 'Manage Attachments'. Click that box. Then you'll see some options... upload from your computer or upload files from a website. If that photo is on your phone, click 'Choose File'. Then you should see some choices... Take a photo, photo library or browse. Choose which ever is appropriate. I would choose 'photo library'. Then find that photo and select it (blue check mark appears). Then 'close' that page. You should see that you've chosen that photo. To the right there's a box 'Upload'. Click that. Then scroll down to close window. Then submit reply or preview post if you want to check it out. It will appear small in that post but when forum member taps on it it will become larger.

Hope this helps.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Here are photos of the front and back of the horn plus a photo of pistons 1,2, & 3 showing the representative pitting on eachClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Besson 2-20 Backside.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	7478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Besson 2-20 Frontside.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	7479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Besson 2-20 Piston 1.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	7480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Besson 2-20 Piston 2.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	7481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Besson 2-20 Piston 3.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	7477

I did not complete the message after attaching the pictures. My hope is that this will help provide information on condition of the pistons.

From a previous response, I am concluding that I cannot simply order a new piston(s) for this instrument.

Would appreciate confirmation that it is a baritone vs. euphonium.

I am a recently retired and last played an instrument in high school band about the time you report this instrument was manufactured. A friend thought this horn might help reunite me with something that has been set aside far too long, and I would appreciate other thoughts relevant to amount it makes sense to invest in this instrument under these circumstances.

Thank you,
    TJ

TJM,

From the pics you posted to my eye it's a euphonium not a baritone. You can tell by the conical bore from where the the tubing slowly gets bigger from the MTS (main tuning slide). Usually a euphonium has an MTS that you can't switch around and put it in backwards. I can't really tell though from those pics. I would say it's a student horn - but that's great for awhile until you know if you want to pursue the art further.

Re the valves, I'll let someone else chime in on that question as I can't tell.
    Last edited by RickF; 03-06-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast