Thread: Coronavirus interruption to production

1. Coronavirus interruption to production

As you will be aware, there has this year been a Coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan City, China; which has since spread throughout China and into other countries across the world.

In order to minimise the spread of the virus, otherwise known as COVID-19, travel within and to China has been curtailed, and most factories in China have temporary stopped working to stop the spread, including the factory responsible for the production of Wessex Tubas’ instruments & accessories in the adjoining provence of Tianjin.

Inevitably, this will had an impact on our business, as it will countless businesses across the world; delaying the production and delivery of new products whilst leaving the Wessex team temporarily unable to visit the factory in order to conduct our regular quality assurance and development.

This will be understandably frustrating for anyone waiting for, or looking to purchase, a Wessex instrument and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for your patience during this difficult time.

Although the factory has temporarily closed, I feel it’s important to let you know that I am in direct, weekly contact with the factory management and production team and remain positive about how the situation is being dealt with and the decisions that are being made.

As such, I’m confident that the factory will open again very soon and all activity will restart in the coming weeks; with many exciting things to come later on in the year.

And, even though production of new instruments has been delayed, work has not stopped here at Wessex Tubas!

We still have a wide range of instruments in stock and available to purchase, including the Chicago 6/4 CC tubas, Wyvern CC tubas, Viverna BBb tubas, Champion Eb tubas, and Linz F tubas, Maly travel euphonium and duplex euphonium

What’s more, our UK and US showrooms are open and taking appointment bookings, where a generous selection of instruments can be play-tested and purchased.

Finally, we’ll be attending a number of tuba/euphonium events in the US and Europe between now and the summer, where, again, a wide range of instruments can be played and purchased. Look out for further announcements!

The future is bright for us here at Wessex Tubas - I’m so proud of everything the team in USA, UK and China have achieved so far, and am incredibly excited for what’s in store as we continue to lead the market in innovative, high quality and truly affordable brass instruments.

Jonathan Hodgetts
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Well said sir!!!!

3. Any update?
    I hope everyone is healthy and coping well.

4. I am pleased to say that the factory is up and running and everyone is well. In fact we will have a container of horns completed ready to ship in about 10 days (this time by train instead of ship for the first time ever - halving transit time!).

The big problem we now have is we can’t get into China to quality assure. So a dedicated Wessex team in China is carrying out QA under my remote instructions, and then we will QA a second time to ensure nothing was missed when the stock reaches the warehouse, before anything is shipped to customers. I am hoping this system will work, as do not know when China will open again to let people from the UK and USA fly into the country. Having licked Covid, they are not about to let it be reintroduced!
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

5. Great to know that everyone is well.

I will read with interest anything further you post here on on your blog about the evolving QA process--sounds like a challenge, but one that you're very much up to.

Good luck getting that train across the Pacific :-O
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

7. Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    Good luck getting that train across the Pacific :-O
    Actually travels the whole way across Russia and Europe to the UK. Quite a journey - I wish I could travel with the shipment
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    Actually travels the whole way across Russia and Europe to the UK. Quite a journey - I wish I could travel with the shipment
    Across the Trans-Sib? Cool beans. I'll come with you; you'll need a Russian interpreter
    David Bjornstad

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    ... I wish I could travel with the shipment
    My wife used to work for Russian Railways.
    She assures me you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    My wife used to work for Russian Railways.
    She assures me you don't.
    It would be an adventure, that's for sure!
    David Bjornstad