Thread: New Euphonium, New Mouthpiece??

Red face New Euphonium, New Mouthpiece??

I've got a Willson 2704 with a large shank on the way so I'm starting to look at new Mouthpieces..
    I've traditionally played on a Schilke 51D on my Yamaha 321 but kind of looking for something around that size with a Bigger, More Robust Sound..

Any Suggestions??

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Quote Originally Posted by KevinInGeorgia View Post
    I've got a Willson 2704 with a large shank on the way so I'm starting to look at new Mouthpieces..
    I've traditionally played on a Schilke 51D on my Yamaha 321 but kind of looking for something around that size with a Bigger, More Robust Sound..

Any Suggestions??

Thanks,
    Kevin
    I recommend a denis wick ultra sm4u (gold plated). I played on a schilke 51d before switching to my denis wick and I love the denis wick mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinInGeorgia View Post

Any Suggestions??

Thanks,
    Kevin
    The mouthpiece that comes with it is a 51D-ish mouthpiece. It impressed me 40 years ago when my Army band got a Willson in that came with it. I’m in the process of switching to euphonium from T-bone, and bought a copy of that mouthpiece to try with my Wessex Festivo. I chose my mouthpiece for this instrument by picking a rim diameter in my range, and then auditioned a bunch of pieces by listening to the sound coming out of the bell to discover which mouthpieces the horn liked best. The winners are the the Parker LaDuke, and the Wick SM4&5 Ultra XRs depending on the color I want to produce. I prefer to have a couple of different colors in my crayon box.

Warning: Although I’ve played trombone for 65 years, I’m still just a newbie where euphoniums are concerned. So take my input with a large grain of salt
    Last edited by S-euph; 02-27-2020 at 09:29 PM.

4. One of my section mates in brass band plays a 2704 with a Wick SM5 and sounds terrific. He played the Willson 51d previously and says his sound and intonation both improved with the switch.

Does any one have any Wick SM4 or SM5 Large Shank Mouthpieces they want to get rid of?? Either an Ultra or the Regular.. I figure I'll try them both..