Thread: Corrective Jaw Surgery

Question Corrective Jaw Surgery

Hello, I am not new to using the forum (great resource, thank you!) but I am new to posting on the forum. I play euphonium.

Has anyone here had corrective jaw surgery that can tell me about their experience and how it affected their playing? I am possibly having the procedure done, but am worried about the outcome. I have a receeding lower jaw and the surgery will bring it forward. I am actually hopeful that it will help my playing in the long run.

I should note that I am not a high school or college kid with braces but I am an adult who plays professionally and advanced level repertoire. I understand that I will need to recreate my embouchure, I would just love to hear anyone's experiences negative or positive before I make a decision. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't had jaw surgery but I've had a few complex dental procedures. I have found that while playing my jaw moves in ways I'm not aware of. Some of the procedures have left a tooth that may have a bit more "contact" that before. I would think jaw surgery might result in a similar experience because of different angles that may be created.

You might take the precaution of having a set of dental impressions made before surgery. Then if you have problems with teeth contacting, your dentist might have a place to start when trying to correct the issue.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I'm not going to be much help. I had a major underbite until I was in my mid-20s, but then I had complete orthodontic work and a mandible reduction while I was in the USAF. Unfortunately, that happened during a long period when I was not playing. However, when I started playing again, it was like I had never left off. Martin Cochran can testify what my embouchure is like now, but I don't know how to tag him. I doubt that your experience will be significantly different.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)