Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Euphonium Valve Spacing / Span

John, I cracked up after reading your last sentence above.

I found a battery for my digital micrometer and checked the width again. It's actually 6.224cm. Didn't want to take the valve stems out so measured from outside of V1 stem to outside of V3 stem. Width = 6.826. That measurement includes half the width of TWO valve stems. So I measured the width of ONE valve stem (one whole = two halves) and got 6.02mm (.602cm) then subtracted that to get 6.224cm. I agree John that I would have thought the width to be wider on the M5050 since the bore is .610". It is a bear to polish between the valve casings.
    Last edited by RickF; 03-01-2020 at 04:00 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

2. 6.67cm on my 1997 Besson 968.

It looks like the space between the pistons is more significant than the actual bore size.
    --
    Barry

6,35 cm on my 2007 Besson Prestige: 5,6 cm on my JP 373 baritone.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Yamaha 321s is 6.3cm.
    Yamaha YEP 321 and Schilke 51D

6. Hi all,

I have two data points. Not surprisingly, since Adams horns use Bauerfeind valves as does my 11 year old Sterling, they are both virtually the same, center to center.

• Adams E3 with prototype top-sprung valves: 6.7-6.8cm
    • Sterling Virtuoso with Bauerfeind valves: 6.7-6.8cm

These are approx. since it was done using a metric ruler and Mark One eyeball.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

It doesn't surprise me that Willson is the same as Adams and Sterling since there is some shared heritage between Willson and Bauerfeind as well. I am surprised that the Hirsbrunner on the list is different, though.
    --
    Barry

8. I just checked, rechecked, checked the instructions again... on my Shires Q41 I got 6.7cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiramdiaz1 View Post
    I just checked, rechecked, checked the instructions again... on my Shires Q41 I got 6.7cm.
    Hiram, is your Giddings mouthpiece going to be available as a signature model?

10. Yes! Soon!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast