Thread: Euphonium Valve Spacing / Span

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Euphonium Valve Spacing / Span

This conversation started in a different thread, and I'll copy a couple posts here. But to set it up, we are coming to realize that the span of the 3 main valves (the distance your fingers need to spread apart) varies with brand and perhaps model. I would like users of various brands to report the measurement for their horns. I'll stick this thread to the top of the category for a while, to help us collect figures.

We would like the measurement in cm, from the center of valve 1 to the center of valve 3. Or you can also measure from the right or left edge of 1 to the same edge of 3, using the finger buttons (assuming they are 3 the same size). Measure as convenient, but what we want, in human terms, is how far it is from the center of the 1st finger button to the center of the 3rd. If you take off the buttons it will be much easier to gauge the center of the stem if you like that method.

Food for thought

Wouldn't we want our valves to be as close together as possible? That would make it easier on the fingers, right? Sure, but it's not that simple. First, a small bore instrument can have the valves closer together, and a large bore instrument will need more space. A larger bore requires a larger diameter piston, to allow room for all the caucades (the connecting "tunnels" you see in the piston) to be of the proper size. Also a larger piston requires turns that are less tight in each caucade.

There is probably a considering for the tubes connecting the 3 valves, too, but I'm not sure how that geometry works out.

From a practical point of view, wider spacing between the valve casings might make maintenance easier. Polishing gets hard if the casings are very close, for example. Also, the top cap on the casing, and the bottom cap less frequently, must be removed from time to time. That can be hard if they are too close. And it can limit your options for tools/helpers if a cap is stuck.

In short, there are several compromises involved!

PLEASE CHECK THIS ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE POSTING YOUR HORN'S MEASUREMENTS. We don't want a lot of duplication of the same brand, unless you get a different result. Thanks!
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-24-2020 at 08:27 PM. Reason: changed mm to cm - hope that is ok, Dave
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium