Thread: King 2268 for jazz?

1. King 2268 for jazz?

Hi!
    I play in a big band ín my hometown. I play some solos on baritone horn, and I think it's time to buy one for my own instead of the horn of my college.
    I have heard some jazz players playing similar horns, and got the idea to buy a King 2268. What do you think about it? Is is suitable for jazz? Is itt still in production? Should I buy a new or a used one? Thank you for your help!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    The King 2268 still seems to be out there, at least I found it for sale at several places for about $2,700. Another one to look at is the Yamaha YEP-321 euphonium. This one is 4 valves top action as compared to the King with 4 valves front action (and being a baritone as well). David Bandman, a completely crazy good jazz euphonium player and a retired member of The United States Air Force band, plays the Yamaha 321. He also has a Besson 4 valve compensator (I think), but doesn't use that much. The Yamaha 321 is priced about the same as the King 2268. I don't know what groups you may play in, but if any of them are community bands and the like, the Yamaha might be a better fit for those types of groups over the King baritone. But if it is just jazz, then either of the above would be good choices IMHO.

And, welcome to the forum!!
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-15-2020 at 02:11 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Welcome to the forum!

John's advice is good. One other factor is whether you will always have a microphone. If not, the King might be better because it is available with a forward-firing bell as the model 2266. That would be an advantage when you rely solely on acoustics.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Quote Originally Posted by Goten56 View Post
    Hi!
    I play in a big band ín my hometown. I play some solos on baritone horn, and I think it's time to buy one for my own instead of the horn of my college.
    I have heard some jazz players playing similar horns, and got the idea to buy a King 2268. What do you think about it? Is is suitable for jazz? Is itt still in production? Should I buy a new or a used one? Thank you for your help!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-King-2...cAAOSwhs1eSBqT

You might like this because it is a fully compensating euphonium and has a second, trombone sounding smaller bell. This would give you incredible flexibility. And the price is only $2,525 new. https://wessex-tubas.com/collections...uphonium-ep105 I recently bought their ep104, the Festivo. I’m extremely impressed with its build quality and colorability of its sound. I imagine the Duplex would extend that flexibility. Good luck. At the bottom of the page on that link is a demonstration video by John Powell. And the trombone bell can be rotated so it faces any direction you like.
    Last edited by S-euph; 02-16-2020 at 12:04 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

John's advice is good. One other factor is whether you will always have a microphone. If not, the King might be better because it is available with a forward-firing bell as the model 2266. That would be an advantage when you rely solely on acoustics.
    This is excellent advice. I previously played french horn. When I was playing in my jazz band, I used a marching french horn to get better projection. That setup never failed to get lots of audience interest and everybody loved the sound.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Of course, if you don't need 4 valves, there is always this idea:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marching Euph.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	592.6 KB 
ID:	7451
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

8. Thank you for the warm reception and all the good advices. I'm glad to be part of this great community. I will try a 2266 on Tuesday afternoon, so then I'll see what's next.

9. I bought and the 2266 and had the first rehearsal with it yesterday. It sounds great! Thank you all for help and especially Dave for the great idea!

I'm glad you found a solution you're happy with!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)