Thread: Advice Please

1. Advice Please

When I was younger and playing a lot more and had a lot more spare money I was fortunate enough to have my own Sovereign and then life takes over, I stopped playing and it got sold to buy a house etc.

I am now getting back into playing and albeit not seriously, enough to want my own instrument again. I have a top budget of £1000. I know it’s not a lot but with family etc, it’s the most I can muster.

Thanks in advance.

Ki

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Welcome to the forum! And welcome back to playing the greatest instrument of all time!

Get a Wessex Dolce. Look them up at wessex-tubas.com. Hard to beat that euphonium at that price. Fully compensating and a really nice horn.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

^This.

DDG

I second John's advice. The Wessex fits your needs perfectly and they have U.K. distributorship. The Dolce model is not a Sovereign, but it comes brand new for a fraction of the price of a new Sovereign. You can find a lot of comments about Wessex in the Euph Brands section.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. That’s a good looking piece. Great reviews too. May have to look second hand or try and stretch the budget. Starting from £1495 in the U.K. from what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellwoodtheeuph View Post
    That’s a good looking piece. Great reviews too. May have to look second hand or try and stretch the budget. Starting from £1495 in the U.K. from what I can see.
    I had neglected to check the UK price, so I see what you mean. So I have to retract my statement that it matched your goal in that way. It's still about the best bet, though.

You might find a used Wessex or JP Sterling around 1k, but that is hit or miss. Also, it's good to keep in mind that Wessex is a fast-moving brand and is constantly improving things, so the new ones could have improvements that a used sample wouldn't. But the ones made a few years ago were well reviewed, so you can think of that option like buying a used car vs. a new one.

I would say that the best option is to try to expand the budget enough to spring for a new one (but I find it very easy to spend other people's money!).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

A JP274 might be what you're looking for then!!
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/