Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Euphonium-Tuba Festival

The train sounds like an interesting possibility, so I looked up some information about it. Travel by Amtrack takes about 75 hours to go from my location to Atlanta. That would add up to almost a week on the train, counting the round trip time. That's not too appealing, though it is a possibility.

What about the idea of shipping the horn (well-packed of course) by Fed-Ex and meeting the horn in Atlanta?

Also, I just checked travel by bus. It's actually faster than Amtrak by about 30 hours, and one third of the price, but I don't know about safety of the horn on a bus ride, and riding the bus is just no fun at all.

I wonder if Amtrak has sleeping cars on this route. (Actually, it's two routes, because it requires requires a connection in Chicago.)

Here's a less-than-ideal suggestion (I got the idea from the way some gigs were booked back in my pro-keyboard days): fly by plane with your mouthpiece, having arranged to rent a horn locally.

Pros: the cost will be comparable to, or less than, the cost of shipping your horn, or the repairs to your horn after flying; and travel time will be manageable.

Con: even if you're lucky enough to rent a horn of the same model as yours, you'll still be playing on a strange horn with the inevitable differences in manufacture, maintenance, and overall condition.

I got used to this forty years ago because the grand piano was whatever the hall provided. Sometimes a venue would have a Hammond, once it even had a Rhodes so I left mine sitting in my station wagon (and I regretted it, because there was a key with a broken tine).
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    Here's a less-than-ideal suggestion (I got the idea from the way some gigs were booked back in my pro-keyboard days): fly by plane with your mouthpiece, having arranged to rent a horn locally.

Pros: the cost will be comparable to, or less than, the cost of shipping your horn, or the repairs to your horn after flying; and travel time will be manageable.

Con: even if you're lucky enough to rent a horn of the same model as yours, you'll still be playing on a strange horn with the inevitable differences in manufacture, maintenance, and overall condition....
    Carrying the mouthpiece and renting the horn sounds like a good idea, if a horn can be rented locally.

Go right to the boss -- email Adam Frey and ask him about local rentals.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    Go right to the boss -- email Adam Frey and ask him about local rentals.
    Good idea!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12