Thread: Looking for a test drive....

Looking for a test drive....

I intended this as a way to connect members with instruments that they would like to try out, and with each other.

Me personally, I would get a kick out of putting my hands on a double belled euphonium. They strike me as an exotic animal of sorts. I am curious to actually put lips to horn and see/hear/feel what one is like. I know that I am not seriously looking for one to purchase. More like I want to scratch a musical and historical itch. I am in the Sacramento, CA area, in case anyone has one and is actually close enough to grant my wish.

I have a standing offer out there for anyone who wants to try a JinBao JBBR1240 baritone in nickel silver.

So. What is your dream test drive? What horn would you like to cross paths with? What do you have that you would be willing to place in the hands of another musician, for test drive and camaraderie sake? Where are you located? Maybe we can start making some of these wishes come true for each other.

- Sara Hood
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Interesting idea. You and folks responding might want to include their general location (down to city perhaps). But keep in mind this info is public - no login required.

If you want I can look into a members only section (apart from the Downloads for Members Only section). Then it is a bit more private.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I will follow your lead, Mr. Werden, as to whether this should be in a public part of the forum, or in a "members only" section. So far, I am comfortable with everything I have written being public. But I can understand if others feel differently. So do your forum leader magic and put this where you think it fits best and will do the most good.
    - Sara

Nifty idea. I'm just north of NYC, and I'd like to try an Adams E3 someday. The horns I have in return are nothing special - a Mack Brass euphonium and a Bach 36B - but I do have a gem of Steinway A. If none of those are appealing to try, Delilah and Jazz (the pups) are also fun to play with.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

5. Great idea, Sara. I'm about an hour east of Sacramento for future reference. Should it be needed, I'm betting Tim's Music would host a get-together. Plus we could all play with what they have in stock. Maybe Scott the owner might want to be involved.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by Richard III View Post
    Great idea, Sara. I'm about an hour east of Sacramento for future reference. Should it be needed, I'm betting Tim's Music would host a get-together. Plus we could all play with what they have in stock. Maybe Scott the owner might want to be involved.
    Other than calling the store and asking for Scott, or asking a local cornetist I go to church with to ask him for me, I don't have any connection with Scott. But do you think that he would let us organize a brass or low brass event there? That might be fun to try to pull off.

- Sara

7. Absolutely. They are always doing themed events for all instruments. I get emails from them all the time with announcements. Great place and their new store has so much space to hold events. Promoting music in the community is what they are all about.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by Richard III View Post
    Absolutely. They are always doing themed events for all instruments. I get emails from them all the time with announcements. Great place and their new store has so much space to hold events. Promoting music in the community is what they are all about.
    This does sound like great fun. But I am not sure that I have the time and mental bandwidth to pull together the planning of a low brass event at Tim's Music.

Although, I was hoping that this thread would promote more person to person contact between forum members. Give us an excuse to get together and compare notes on our horns (grin).

- Sara

Guess what? Someone, not me, is planning on putting together a Trombone & Tuba Day at Tim's Music in the Sacramento, CA area. I don't have any details yet about when, but the where is 6818 Fair Oaks Blvd. Carmichael, CA 95608. I will update the forum when I have more info. Stay tuned and I hope I will meet some of you folks there.
    - Sara