Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Used Wessex Sinfonico

Thumbs up FS: Used Wessex Sinfonico

This is the new hand-made Wessex model. Seller says it is in perfect condition. The buy-it-now price is $2,300.

ITEM IS SOLD FOR $2,300 (I ASSUME)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wessex-SINFONICO-euphonium/223890716979

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	315.0 KB 
ID:	7435 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	56 
Size:	301.8 KB 
ID:	7434 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	60 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	7436 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	49 
Size:	346.4 KB 
ID:	7437
    Last edited by davewerden; 02-07-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I am wondering if this Sinfonico might be a pre-production prototype unit. As far as I understand, Wessex has not started production-level deliveries of EP600H Sinfonico yet.

Does anyone know differently?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    This is the new hand-made Wessex model. Seller says it is in perfect condition. The buy-it-now price is $2,300.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wessex-SINF...m/223890716979

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	81 
Size:	315.0 KB 
ID:	7435 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	56 
Size:	301.8 KB 
ID:	7434 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	60 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	7436 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	49 
Size:	346.4 KB 
ID:	7437
    Interesting - screw-in receivers for small, medium, and large shank mouthpieces. I don't think I've seen that for any other euphonium. I would think that a euphonium would be designed to have best response with one particular shank size, and that a change would affect intonation and the over-all feel of the horn.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Hello Dean, there are in fact examples of euphos with screw-on receivers out there... They let the user select from the broadest possible selection of MPs. One example is the Hirsbrunner 378.

If we think of the Sinfonico as a quality step-up semi-pro horn, the decision to supply screw-on receivers makes a lot of marketing sense... Will let a step-upoper user employ any of their current MPs, regardless of shank size, and worry about a best pairing at a later time... Great for upgraders of all ages, and an excellent marketing/selling feature.

Of course, I am confident that the Wessex crowd has a good idea of which receiver optimizes the EP600HP performance... Or perhaps, it is only a matter of "personal preference".

Regards, Guido

PS. Any good EP600HP videos out there?

Yesterday, 04:

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Boy, is this ever tempting. Let's see, I could sell my Wessex Dolce (in very good condition), then use this horn as my alternate for the Adams E3. The B&H Imperial will get used much less, but I bought that horn mostly for nostalgia reasons, so I never planned to play it much. But I would play the Sinfonico in various situations and circumstances. It really looks like a sweet horn. And "looks" like the case is a bit more streamlined and stylish looking. Seems somewhat different from the puffy, gigantic sized case for the Dolce. Hmmm...….

I thought I saw something sort of different in the pictures, and upon closer examination, there is a "connector" between the second valve slide and the first valve slide and also between the second valve slide and the third valve slide (all on the non compensating slides). Have never seen that before. You can see it in one of the eBay pictures of the front of the horn up close.

Well, actually, after looking at my horn, there is a connector in those places, just much different looking. Guess this just brings a little bit different style and look to the horn.

One other observation, there are no nipples on the bottom valve caps, so I wonder how one would attach a grim gutter, or if it is even possible. Wonder why there are no nipples??
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-03-2020 at 12:09 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Perhaps Jonathan could enlighten us about this particular Wessex Sinfonico... Is it a pre-production prototype, or does it reflect all playing characteristics and features/specs/finish of production-level units?

If it were a prototype, how does it differ from production units?

Regards, Guido

Hello John, if you eventually pull the trigger on this Sinfonico, I hope you will record a good video clip of it, and also post your detailed impression of EP600 here on DWerden.

Saluti, Guido

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello John, if you eventually pull the trigger on this Sinfonico, I hope you will record a good video clip of it, and also post your detailed impression of EP600 here on DWerden.

Saluti, Guido
    Will do. I must first gauge how high off the planet my dear wife, Linda, will jump if I let her know I am interested in getting this. I probably need it like a hole in the head, which I already have plenty of.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-05-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Hi John, I empathize with you. Like you, I have one of those fiscally responsible wives... Fact is that mine is not simply "responsible... Rather, she is "hyper-responsible" and has banned any further brass acquisitions until further notice.

I hope that you can instead persuade your better half that replacing the Wessex Dolce with Sinfonico will bring significant benefits to your gigs, and joy to you, while minimally impacting household budgeting&planning... I wish I could have this kind of discussion with my own better half *Rolls eyes!*

Guido

Guido,

I am probably one of the more luckier guys to have a wife who basically never puts the kibosh on me buying a new instrument. In fact, one year several back, I was admiring a Taylor 912e guitar at our local music store. This one was a real beauty. I already had a very nice Taylor guitar, but this one was really special. Lo and behold, at Christmas, she just went down there and snatched it right up. In front of two other guys who were drooling all over it and on the verge of buying it. The Sinfonico is probably more of a case of "me" trying to justify the purchase in light of what I already own. At some point I probably have to say I suppose I don't need another euphonium. I play my Adams all the time, and any other horn is going to get way less use.

I sound like I am trying to talk myself into not doing this. What is the matter with me? Time will tell....
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast