Thread: WTB - Willson 2900 in lacquer

1. WTB - Willson 2900 in lacquer

Hello all,

A good friend of mine plays a Willson 2900 (medium shank) in the usual silver. He has had his horn since he was in high school. He graduated with a BA from Ithaca College and got his Master's from RNCM studying under Steven Mead. He has found that a silver finish just doesn't work well for him and would like to purchase a new (or slightly used) 2900 in lacquer. While I have seen these (Charley Brighton plays one), they are unusual.

Does anyone have suggestions on where he might source a lacquer 2900? I will use Facebook to message Charley and Willi Kurath of Willson but would appreciate your suggestions.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Or...
    A few Willson players have switched to Shires. The Shires horns have a lot of Willson design elements in them, and they do offer a medium-shank version that might please a 2900 player. (I assume Shires are available in lacquer.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. I think he is pretty set on a Willson. He has been playing it for 15+ years. I have PM'd Charley and Willi to see what suggestions they have. I have checked Baltimore Brass and Dillon's and they have just silver in stock.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Doug,
    As of this message, the Tuba Exchange has a used 2900L in stock, according to their website. Price is about $6,500.

5. Hi
    I have a
    Willson 2900 in lacquer if your still looking