Thread: Valve Springs for a Besson New Standard Model...that was made in 1971.

Valve Springs for a Besson New Standard Model...that was made in 1971.

I am looking to upgrade the valve springs on a Besson New Standard Model (3+1) compensating euphonium. Will the Mead Springs work? ...any other suggestions?

Pretty sure they will work, based on my memory of the valves and casings. Note that the standard Mead springs are very stiff. If you have strong fingers that can be a good thing. The come in a Lite version if you don't have a lot of finger strength.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Pretty sure they will work, based on my memory of the valves and casings. Note that the standard Mead springs are very stiff. If you have strong fingers that can be a good thing. The come in a Lite version if you don't have a lot of finger strength.
    Mr. Werden, would the lite version of the Mead Springs approximate the action of the standard Besson Springs? I'm just thinking that after 40+ years it may be a good thing to replace the springs.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGo View Post
    Mr. Werden, would the lite version of the Mead Springs approximate the action of the standard Besson Springs? I'm just thinking that after 40+ years it may be a good thing to replace the springs.
    I think so. It's been a long time since I played a New Standard, so maybe someone with recent experience can chime in???
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. You could just try these, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-VA...oAAOxydlFS~OXF

If you look through this seller’s store they also have “lite” euphonium springs and coated springs for reduced noise. I have bought from them before and their very cheap shipping from the UK takes about a week.

Those are the exact set I use in my NS. Fit & function are perfect.

Get a set of the soft-stop pads for your horn, too. They fix the 'John Deere thrashing machine' noise:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BESSON-SOVE...QAAOxy43FRaXqN

Dennis