Thread: Beginner's help.

Beginner's help.

Good to see you all! I do not feel comfortable communicating on this forum because everyone is already professionals or knows a lot. I hope I write in the right place, there are many sections.

Here's my question. What is the best trombone for a beginner? I study with a teacher and he gives it to me during classes. Today he said it's necessary to buy his. My own search led me to this site. It's weird because it doesn't apply to music directly. Other sites had high prices. I don't want to buy junk and just spend the money, so I ask for your professional help.

Feel comfortable. I am about as non-professional and unsophisticated on low brass as anyone can possibly be, but eager to learn, and I’ve learned MUCH more about low brass in 10 months here than I learned in over 10 years of high level wind ensemble performance, including a 4 year music degree plus half a Master’s on woodwinds.

I “know a lot” about wind ensemble repertoire but because of permanent arthritis damage to fingers on both hands, the euphonium has become my musical lifeline. I ask questions that may appear “stupid” to people who are Blessed with good hands, but for me, those questions are just a matter of trying to pack in essential facts and not make stupid mistakes with purchasing, just like you.

There are PLENTY of good natured people here, including some AMAZING performing professionals, who have enough time to respond, and they do. Ask, read what they say, and continue to research. In your situation I think I might try a short term rental before buying. Someone more knowledgeable than I may disagree.

If you LOVE to play trombone, don’t be dissuaded by ANYONE. Keep practicing, every day if you can manage, and keep PLAYING. I found an AMAZING no pressure driven community band near me, and that and my lessons are the best music experiences in my week.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam B View Post
    Good to see you all! I do not feel comfortable communicating on this forum because everyone is already professionals or knows a lot. I hope I write in the right place, there are many sections.

Here's my question. What is the best trombone for a beginner? I study with a teacher and he gives it to me during classes. Today he said it's necessary to buy his. My own search led me to this site. It's weird because it doesn't apply to music directly. Other sites had high prices. I don't want to buy junk and just spend the money, so I ask for your professional help.
    Hi Liam,

Welcome to the forum. First, I would point out that this forum is not really directed to trombones, but rather, euphoniums and tubas. The forum trombonechat.org deals specifically with trombones, so you may also want to post there. That being said, there are a number of players on this forum that also play trombone and may be able to provide you with help. It would be useful if you could tells us what price range you are looking for.

Mike

Hi Liam. I started on trombone many years ago. You usually start on a student model and then progress. What is the make and model of the trombone your teacher is selling? That would help determine value. There is a dedicated trombone site -https://www.trombonechat.com/index.php - that can help. Good luck.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Hi Liam, I’ve been playing trombone for 65 years. 25 years professionally with the U.S. Army’s Ground Forces Command Band. Over the years I’ve played and owned quite a few trombones. In the last five years, I’ve become aware of JP/Rath trombones from the John Packer company. These horns were designed by Michael Rath, world renown boutique trombone maker in England. Currently I own three trombones: a Rath R1, a Bach Strad. Model 34, and a JP/Rath 230. I consider Rath trombones to be the best trombones on the planet. I consider the JP/Rath horns to be second only to boutique trombones. And the prices are incredibly low. I played a King 3B for 10 years. The JP/Rath 231 is a better 3B than a 3B!!! Hope this is helpful. Where to buy? I would look first on the trombonechat forum for a used horn. Second, if you’re interested in a JP/Rath, go to Youtuber Christopher Bill’s site, subscribe. Search YT for Bill and JP/Rath. He may have a coupon for a discount at DF music. I believe that is the right name.
    Last edited by S-euph; 01-30-2020 at 01:46 PM.

If you're just talking about a simple straight Bb trombone, a whole lot of people (including Doug Elliott) think very highly of the Yamaha line, including models like the YSL 354 which is officially a "student model" but is used by a lot of pros and semi-pros. There are good ones on the used market, and often on Craig's List. Or see what Sam Ash stores have if there are any in your area.

If you're looking for a horn with an F-attachment, I'd recommend either buying a good used one (Yamaha, Conn, King, ...) or looking at the Wessex, Mack Brass, or the Packer that people have suggested.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)