Thread: Wessex EP104 Festivo

Wessex EP104 Festivo

OK, Experts! It has been 2½ years since anyone made a post on this horn. What is the verdict on this horn? I’m giving this model strong consideration for ergonomic reasons. After 65 years on trombone, I can no longer hold a trombone without causing nanny-goat like vibrato on sustained tones. I bought a Schiller Elite to determine if I could hold a euphonium without my essential tremors interfering. I need Your input on this model if you have any. Thanks for your help! Joe, U.S. Army Bands retired.

I also got a Wessex Festivo for ergonomic reasons. It does not strain my right shoulder as much as a 'normal' euph does, but it is a little awkward to hold. I prefer to sit straight up, but after a while it becomes a little heavy to hold. If I put it on my lap, I have to slouch forward a little to reach the mouthpiece (I'm 5'10), straining my neck after a while. Since it goes in the opposite direction of a 'normal' euph, I find that a lap cushion does not work as good as with a 'normal' euph.

Although it is not perfect, I still like it.

I “grew up” on the Conn Constellation, so the Festivo is very normal for me. Bought mine about six months ago, after going to the showroom and trying the Festivo and Dolce. Also played the prototype of the new Sinfonico, but really liked the Festivo.

Don’t know enough about essential tremor to know whether this is a stupid statement, but can an ergo-bone be of any use? I’m seriously considering because even my Rath small bore is starting to be troublesome to hold (I think I’m starting to experience arthritis in my left elbow), so it’s something I’m looking at.

Hwlentz. What a coincidence, the Ergobone doesn’t work for me with my Rath R1. The Schiller is an improvement over my trombone as far as essential tremors are concerened, but only an improvement not a complete solution. I’ve decided to order a Festivo. I have high hopes. If this doesn’t work, my playing days are over.

Hello hwlentz, as you seem to have tested the Sinfonico prototype side-by-side to Festivo, could you comment on the differences between the two in terms of

* Tonal character throughout the range
    * Intonation
    * Fit and finish

Would in your opinion Sinfonico be a worth while upgrade from Festivo? Why if yes, and why not if not?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by S-euph View Post
    OK, Experts! It has been 2½ years since anyone made a post on this horn. What is the verdict on this horn? I’m giving this model strong consideration for ergonomic reasons. After 65 years on trombone, I can no longer hold a trombone without causing nanny-goat like vibrato on sustained tones. I bought a Schiller Elite to determine if I could hold a euphonium without my essential tremors interfering. I need Your input on this model if you have any. Thanks for your help! Joe, U.S. Army Bands retired.
    i bought mine about 2 years ago and there are no regrets. i also bought mine for comfort. i have right shoulder problems which are aggravated while playing a top action instrument.

when i first started playing the Festivo, it took a while for my left arm to get used to the weight, but i don't pay attention to it anymore.

it has a full, velvety sound... intonation is good and i the bottom register is fantastic. i play my buddy's tuba parts...

i have never played the really expensive euphoniums, so i cannot compare. i'm sure they're fantastic, since everyone says so... but are they that many thousand $ better? perhaps if euphonium was my means to an income i would consider a more expensive instrument, but for community bands and a few ensembles, everyone is happy with me on this one.

the ONLY thing i don't really enjoy about mine is keeping the fingerprints off the silver but it's beautiful. if i were buying another, i would get brass, but then i'm told it may change the sound. i can't say about that either, since i've never had a brass Festivo to compare it to.

hope this gives a little help... good luck

@mbrown: This is very helpful. To clarify your comment, are you saying the Festivo puts more weight/strain on the left arm than a top valve when played sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by S-euph View Post
    @mbrown: This is very helpful. To clarify your comment, are you saying the Festivo puts more weight/strain on the left arm than a top valve when played sitting?
    That is the case with my Festivo.

Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    That is the case with my Festivo.
    Thanks for your reply Ann. Would you say it more uncomfortable to hold while sitting than the top valve? Or more uncomfortable to hold overall than a top valve?

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello hwlentz, as you seem to have tested the Sinfonico prototype side-by-side to Festivo, could you comment on the differences between the two in terms of

* Tonal character throughout the range
    * Intonation
    * Fit and finish

Would in your opinion Sinfonico be a worth while upgrade from Festivo? Why if yes, and why not if not?

Regards, Guido
    Hi Guido - Sorry for the delay, I’ve been away a few days. First let me say that I’m not really qualified to evaluate horns, strictly amateur, I think there might be pro reviews on youtube. That said, the Festivo completely serves my needs and I’m very pleased with intonation. However if I were going to perhaps major or minor in music, or played year ‘round*, I would seriously consider spending the extra $1,000.

Bill
    *as it is, I play trombone weekly, and euphonium in 3-5 performances a year.