Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euphonium brands that are known for having a warm, rich tone?

1. Euphonium brands that are known for having a warm, rich tone?

I'm a trumpet/cornet player, playing in a community band. My director asked me to switch to euphonium due to their need. I bought a Yamaha 321 silver one year ago. The director who is also the director of bands at Appalachian State in NC says I have a warm rich tone. I would like to upgrade to perhaps a Yamaha Neo or an XO. I tried a Wilson 2900 and I didn't like the tone as well as the Neo. I have a limited budget $6K tops. I have always had nice horns, Bach Strad pre- strike and a Conn Connstellation A long model cornet as a high school player. What would be the best horns for me to try? I am retired and love to play. I need one that projects well.
    Thanks
    Jo Anne Blackstone

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    If $6K is your upper limit, the Yamaha Neo YEP-642II might be your best bet, but it is about $600 over your limit. Going for top and near top line horns from Adams, Besson, Miraphone, Willson, and even Yamaha, puts you in the $8K and above price range. Perhaps selling/trading your Yamaha 321 would put you in range for the Neo, which is an all around very good horn. Of course, if you would consider a very good used horn, then most any of the top line horns could be found at or below your $6K limit.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    If $6K is your upper limit, the Yamaha Neo YEP-642II might be your best bet, but it is about $600 over your limit. Going for top and near top line horns from Adams, Besson, Miraphone, Willson, and even Yamaha, puts you in the $8K and above price range. Perhaps selling/trading your Yamaha 321 would put you in range for the Neo, which is an all around very good horn. Of course, if you would consider a very good used horn, then most any of the top line horns could be found at or below your $6K limit.
    John offers good advice. There are some new contenders from Shires that may be worth a look, plus the new Wessex hand-made horn.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Hi Jo Anne and welcome to the forum. Living in NC offers you a good opportunity to go over to Tuba Exchange in Raleigh/Durham and try out some horns. According to their website they do have a Yamaha Neo in stock for $6369.99. Not sure what others they have in stock. I would suggest you call them first to make sure what they have in stock. I got my Miraphone 5050 from TE about 6 years ago.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Hi Jo Anne and welcome to the forum. Living in NC offers you a good opportunity to go over to Tuba Exchange in Raleigh/Durham and try out some horns. According to their website they do have a Yamaha Neo in stock for $6369.99. Not sure what others they have in stock. I would suggest you call them first to make sure what they have in stock. I got my Miraphone 5050 from TE about 6 years ago.
    I think the price is "from $6369.99". Looking closer, that is the price for the lacquered version (which is still a good horn). The silver plate model is $6639.99, pretty much the going price at all the usual places. But it sure would be nice to live close to a place like Tuba Exchange (well, maybe that would be disastrous on second thought with my propensity to buy instruments).
    Last edited by John Morgan; 01-24-2020 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Fix price
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Good catch John. I didn’t notice the “from” part.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

7. So your director is happy with your sound. Why do you want to upgrade? What is missing from the horn you have? And the next question is what mouthpiece are you using? Saving time by asking that question in case just a change of that fixes whatever you are wanted to get.

8. The Yamaha 321 has 4 inline valves and the 4th is hard to manage. I use the Schilke 51D mouthpiece. I found that the Yamaha mouthpiece was uncomfortable. I next tried the Bach 61/2 it was ok but had trouble getting the low range. I followed advice on this forum and tried the Schilke 51 D and after adjusting to it my low range is good. My upper range is great probably due to playing trumpet. I am also in the process of learning bass clef and having a bit of difficulty with finding the right notes. I use my keyboard to compare notes. I was looking for more projection and I don't know if that is a function of the 321 or me not playing loud enough. It's a work in progress. I thought I might have a bigger sound with the Neo. After a year of playing the 321 I'll go back to the Tuba Exchange and try the Neo again. I settled for the 321 just in case I didn't stick with euphonium. I really like playing the euphonium. I like the sound and playing the parts. I enjoy reading the forum. Lots of good information and nice people.
    Thanks for the advice
    Jo Anne

For what it’s worth Jo Anne, just a bit of my background. Was a trumpet major and played well into my teaching career. Upon retiring a few years back, I made contact with a brass band in the area. First purchased a Yamaha 321, using a Schiller 51D as well, but that 4th in-line was tough for me. Did own a Neo ST and enjoyed very much, am now using a Shires Q-40 which is lighter in weight than the Neo but does have a huge, focused projection. Might be worth looking into, Dillon has the Q-40 large receiver and the Q-41 medium receiver in stock. Best to you in your search.

Nick

Hello Joe Anne, as my friend Richard III suggests, a different mouthpiece might be very well the ticket to the warm and complex sound that you are aiming at... I use two mouthpieces on my Wessex Festivo -- A Wick SM4U and a Wick 4AL... The 4AL is distinctly the warmer and more singing-like of the two. 4AL is also the prefered MP of David Werden's.

Admittedly I am a eupho nube, last year I attended ITEC... Fiddled with various Yamaha, Adams, Wessex, Eastman, Miraphone, and Bessons.... The horn that I experienced to be the "warmest and richest" of the bunch seemed to be the Besson Prestige. Having said this, my prefered eupho was instead the Miraphone M5050, which seemed to add a somewhat symphonic or perhaps Germanic character to the mix.

Unfortunately at the time I did not have the opportunity of playtesting the new Shires, nor the new handmade Wessex EP600H. If I ever decided to upgrade to a higher grade Eupho than mine, I would want to try out these newest offerings from Shires and Wessex.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast