Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Euphonium brands that are known for having a warm, rich tone?

1. I love these discussions. Guido is one of the reasons I am playing a baritone/euphonium. I use the slash designation because though Conn called it a baritone, it looks and sounds more like a euphonium. Mine is a 1935 Conn 64I. When I started playing this horn, I had plenty of experience playing trumpet and french horn. I asked Guido for advice but didn't want to spend the big bucks. I got this horn really cheap and the fact it is a small bore, I thought it would be easier coming off small horns. I now have five mouthpieces to experiment with. That includes a very old Conn that was made for the instrument. As I've developed my playing abilities, my sound has changed as well as how much I can handle. Where once the Wick SM9B was too difficult to play well, it has come to be my favorite sound. That combination gives a large, warm sound that is consistent over the full range of the horn. It is more work. So I would suggest working with whichever combination gives you the best sound at that time, but don't forget to try others as you develop as a player.

2. Just one more reply. The new Sterling Virtuoso's are in stock at Baltimore Brass and are available for $6,295 (silver plated with trigger). This is DEFINITELY on the warm side.

Doug Ruby
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Not sure if they are still available but "QuinnTheEskimo" on eBay had some demo mint quality NEO Euphs for sale that were well below your stated range. Really looked like good deals. He's a reputable seller that has received good feedback. Best wishes on your search.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

^^^^ this. I bought my Neo from him for $4k and it was basically brand new and sounds amazing.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    Not sure if they are still available but "QuinnTheEskimo" on eBay had some demo mint quality NEO Euphs for sale that were well below your stated range. Really looked like good deals. He's a reputable seller that has received good feedback. Best wishes on your search.
    I've done two horns with Quinn and found he is a great seller. Both were trombones and in excellent condition. His shipping is reasonable as reasonable as it can be.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12