Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King 1168 4 valved euphonium

1. King 1168 4 valved euphonium

Any thoughts or information on a King 1168 4 valved euph with a manufacture date of 1975.

A good example of the American small euphonium. King and Conn were the most popular brands and were made well, sounded good, and had good intonation.

The larger question would be: what is your intended use? If you are playing in a concert band, for example, it would work fine. But if the band's section has all other players using compensating euphoniums, it would not fit in as well.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. It would be used in a pops orchestra setting, covering occasional euphonium/baritone, 3rd bone, and bass clarinet parts where appropriate. I utilize at present a Schiller 3+1 compensator but the ergonomics is catching up to my 67 year old body. My tubas and cimbasso are front action which is a more comfortable position for me. I’ve looked at the Festivo which would fit the bill and may still purchase one if the King 1168 (Ebay listing) becomes too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by yadent View Post
    It would be used in a pops orchestra setting, covering occasional euphonium/baritone, 3rd bone, and bass clarinet parts where appropriate. I utilize at present a Schiller 3+1 compensator but the ergonomics is catching up to my 67 year old body. My tubas and cimbasso are front action which is a more comfortable position for me. I’ve looked at the Festivo which would fit the bill and may still purchase one if the King 1168 (Ebay listing) becomes too expensive.
    The Festivo would be more similar in blowing/sound to the Schiller, but with front valves. However, the King might work well for you. It IS easier to blow because of the smaller bore and is also lighter to handle. It would probably fit well in many pieces you'll play, I'm thinkin'
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. Thanks for your input.

Here is a good King, perhaps the one you are looking at???

King 1168 4-Valve

You might also take a look at this Conn Connstellation. 4 valves, special leadpipe for this model. This is like the horn Henry Charles Smith played for euphonium parts with the Philadelphia Orchestra. It is just a bit better than the King, but is about $1,000 now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-24I-Co...tion=3000|2500

These Connstellations had a main tuning slide trigger, which is handy. This one is missing some parts for that; it might be something a repair shop could fashion for you. If so, it would be a handy addition. The case seems to be in very nice condition, which is a plus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	7416 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	6 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	7417
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

7. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Here is a good King, perhaps the one you are looking at???

King 1168 4-Valve

You might also take a look at this Conn Connstellation. 4 valves, special leadpipe for this model. This is like the horn Henry Charles Smith played for euphonium parts with the Philadelphia Orchestra. It is just a bit better than the King, but is about $1,000 now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-24I-Co...tion=3000|2500

These Connstellations had a main tuning slide trigger, which is handy. This one is missing some parts for that; it might be something a repair shop could fashion for you. If so, it would be a handy addition. The case seems to be in very nice condition, which is a plus.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	12 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	7416 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	6 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	7417
    That is the King I'm considering. That particular Conn is another I'm watching. Both would probably end up being roughly 1/2 the cost of a Festivo and considering that euphonium is my 'second' instrument (a Willson 3400S my main), these would meet my ergonomic requirements without busting my set budget. Again, my main concern was the 1168 King model as I knew nothing about it. Thanks for your valued insight!

That is the King I'm considering. That particular Conn is another I'm watching. Both would probably end up being roughly 1/2 the cost of a Festivo and considering that euphonium is my 'second' instrument (a Willson 3400S my main), these would meet my ergonomic requirements without busting my set budget. Again, my main concern was the 1168 King model as I knew nothing about it. Thanks for your valued insight!
    The Conn on ebay is missing the thumb holder on the tuning slide and probably one of the adjustment nuts. I've owned both of the Constellations and the one I was given in 1963 and still was in good shape when I sold it last year. It had all of the tuning slide. I sold the 25I a few years back as I had bought one and did a little repair and resold it. Both were great horns. Presently I have a B&S oval horn with front rotary valves (4) which I use in Community Band and when the arthritis acts up.
    Last edited by BDeisinger; 01-21-2020 at 03:18 PM.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

9. Quote Originally Posted by BDeisinger View Post
    The Conn on ebay is missing the thumb holder on the tuning slide and probably one of the adjustment nuts. I've owned both of the Constellations and the one I was given in 1963 and still was in good shape when I sold it last year. It had all of the tuning slide. I sold the 25I a few years back as I had bought one and did a little repair and resold it. Both were great horns. Presently I have a B&S oval horn with front rotary valves (4) which I use in Community Band and when the arthritis acts up.
    My tech noted the missing thumb holder also. Said it would be a fairly easy fix. He leans toward the Conn but mentioned both are good instruments for what I need.

My tech noted the missing thumb holder also. Said it would be a fairly easy fix. He leans toward the Conn but mentioned both are good instruments for what I need.
    I agree with you tech. The Conn 24! looks in great shape. If the valves are anything like mine were, there was no noticeable wear. I liked the movable bell as it worked well with the right angle in band.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast