X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yadent
    • Mar 2009

King 1168 4 valved euphonium

Any thoughts or information on a King 1168 4 valved euph with a manufacture date of 1975.
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

A good example of the American small euphonium. King and Conn were the most popular brands and were made well, sounded good, and had good intonation.

The larger question would be: what is your intended use? If you are playing in a concert band, for example, it would work fine. But if the band's section has all other players using compensating euphoniums, it would not fit in as well.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• yadent
      • Mar 2009

It would be used in a pops orchestra setting, covering occasional euphonium/baritone, 3rd bone, and bass clarinet parts where appropriate. I utilize at present a Schiller 3+1 compensator but the ergonomics is catching up to my 67 year old body. My tubas and cimbasso are front action which is a more comfortable position for me. I’ve looked at the Festivo which would fit the bill and may still purchase one if the King 1168 (Ebay listing) becomes too expensive.

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by yadent View Post
        It would be used in a pops orchestra setting, covering occasional euphonium/baritone, 3rd bone, and bass clarinet parts where appropriate. I utilize at present a Schiller 3+1 compensator but the ergonomics is catching up to my 67 year old body. My tubas and cimbasso are front action which is a more comfortable position for me. I’ve looked at the Festivo which would fit the bill and may still purchase one if the King 1168 (Ebay listing) becomes too expensive.
        The Festivo would be more similar in blowing/sound to the Schiller, but with front valves. However, the King might work well for you. It IS easier to blow because of the smaller bore and is also lighter to handle. It would probably fit well in many pieces you'll play, I'm thinkin'
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• yadent
          • Mar 2009

Thanks for your input.

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Here is a good King, perhaps the one you are looking at???

King 1168 4-Valve

You might also take a look at this Conn Connstellation. 4 valves, special leadpipe for this model. This is like the horn Henry Charles Smith played for euphonium parts with the Philadelphia Orchestra. It is just a bit better than the King, but is about $1,000 now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-24I-Co...tion=3000|2500

These Connstellations had a main tuning slide trigger, which is handy. This one is missing some parts for that; it might be something a repair shop could fashion for you. If so, it would be a handy addition. The case seems to be in very nice condition, which is a plus.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	117644 Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	117645
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• yadent
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
              Here is a good King, perhaps the one you are looking at???

King 1168 4-Valve

You might also take a look at this Conn Connstellation. 4 valves, special leadpipe for this model. This is like the horn Henry Charles Smith played for euphonium parts with the Philadelphia Orchestra. It is just a bit better than the King, but is about $1,000 now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-24I-Co...tion=3000|2500

These Connstellations had a main tuning slide trigger, which is handy. This one is missing some parts for that; it might be something a repair shop could fashion for you. If so, it would be a handy addition. The case seems to be in very nice condition, which is a plus.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7416[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7417[/ATTACH]
              That is the King I'm considering. That particular Conn is another I'm watching. Both would probably end up being roughly 1/2 the cost of a Festivo and considering that euphonium is my 'second' instrument (a Willson 3400S my main), these would meet my ergonomic requirements without busting my set budget. Again, my main concern was the 1168 King model as I knew nothing about it. Thanks for your valued insight!

Comment

• BDeisinger
                • Jan 2015

That is the King I'm considering. That particular Conn is another I'm watching. Both would probably end up being roughly 1/2 the cost of a Festivo and considering that euphonium is my 'second' instrument (a Willson 3400S my main), these would meet my ergonomic requirements without busting my set budget. Again, my main concern was the 1168 King model as I knew nothing about it. Thanks for your valued insight!
                The Conn on ebay is missing the thumb holder on the tuning slide and probably one of the adjustment nuts. I've owned both of the Constellations and the one I was given in 1963 and still was in good shape when I sold it last year. It had all of the tuning slide. I sold the 25I a few years back as I had bought one and did a little repair and resold it. Both were great horns. Presently I have a B&S oval horn with front rotary valves (4) which I use in Community Band and when the arthritis acts up.
                Last edited by BDeisinger; 01-21-2020, 03:18 PM.
                B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
                Wessex Festivo
                B&S PT37-S
                Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
                Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Comment

• yadent
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BDeisinger View Post
                  The Conn on ebay is missing the thumb holder on the tuning slide and probably one of the adjustment nuts. I've owned both of the Constellations and the one I was given in 1963 and still was in good shape when I sold it last year. It had all of the tuning slide. I sold the 25I a few years back as I had bought one and did a little repair and resold it. Both were great horns. Presently I have a B&S oval horn with front rotary valves (4) which I use in Community Band and when the arthritis acts up.
                  My tech noted the missing thumb holder also. Said it would be a fairly easy fix. He leans toward the Conn but mentioned both are good instruments for what I need.

Comment

• BDeisinger
                    • Jan 2015

My tech noted the missing thumb holder also. Said it would be a fairly easy fix. He leans toward the Conn but mentioned both are good instruments for what I need.
                    I agree with you tech. The Conn 24! looks in great shape. If the valves are anything like mine were, there was no noticeable wear. I liked the movable bell as it worked well with the right angle in band.
                    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
                    Wessex Festivo
                    B&S PT37-S
                    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
                    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Comment

• yadent
                      • Mar 2009

Follow-up on the King 1168. I did purchase the King and have now utilized it for a couple of pop orchestra rehearsals. Have combined it with a LOUD LM-52S stainless steel mp. Instrument blends well with the other low brass (horns/bones/ tuba), intonation is VERY good. Projects well within the group as told by the director. In fact the director couldn't sense much difference in tonal quality/projection vs my Schiller 3+1 compensator. The main reason for acquiring, ergonomics, is night and day vs the Schiller. 2 hour rehearsals with NO right shoulder/elbow/wrist discomfort at conclusion with the King. The only complaint at the moment is the thumb ring placement which at the moment feels awkward, causing some pressure discomfort during prolong playing. May have it relocated if I can't acclimate to it's present position. All in all I'm VERY pleased with the instrument.

Comment

Working...
                      X